fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 23 Apr 2022 21:30 #120174

Hi there everyone!

I am currently in the middle of transiting from my old MacBook Pro 15 2018 to a brand new MacBook Pro M1 Max 16, and I am having trouble with some transfers: I was able to get my library, but all my color presets, pre-saved writing styles and the likes of it disappeared. I guess it must be stored somewhere else but I don't know where.

What do I have to do to make a complete transfer of all my FCPX experience from my old Mac to the new, including all folders that could contain specific preferences, presets, etc...?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 23 Apr 2022 21:33 #120175

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Did you use Migration Assistant to transfer your user accounts and data to the new computer? That should properly transfer pretty much everything to the new computer. Doing the transfer manually isn't going to work well. For example, there are items in your personal/user folder hierarchy (personal Library folder) that you don't have permission to copy but that Migration Assistant does...

Last edit: by DaveM.

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 23 Apr 2022 21:38 #120176

No I wanted more of a "clean slate" start, so I thought about only transferring what I need, but I could make a transfer via hard drive of the User folder if needed

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 23 Apr 2022 21:54 #120177

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh, okay, I understand. You've got the right idea but it's hard to do, or at least somewhat tedious. Using MIgration Assistant tends to migrate things we don't really want or need, as well as outdated system files, so it's not ideal.

To do everything manually, you'd need to track down every place that stores settings, as well as re-installing everything from scratch.

The user Library folder has several places in it where applications, plugins, etc. store user data, various settings, and so on.

If you've got the time, you could go through your old user Library folder and see what needs to be transferred to your new Mac. You'd also want to check the system Library folder (not /System/Library), as some items there may need to be moved...

One way to do this would be to figure out where data is store by the tools you are currently using and move those items from your old setup. It's going to take many hours possibly...

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 23 Apr 2022 21:56 #120178

Ok thanks a lot for your answer! It is possible that what I am looking for could be easier to do with a migration. Do I need to use the migration assistant or a Time Machine could do the trick? I suppose it is the same process but just want to be sure, to not spend too much time doing a hard drive backup that won't lead to anything.

Then I guess I will empty my current Mac in the best of my capacity to make the save as light as possible

Last edit: by Hikenkami.

Make a complete transfer of FCPX between Macs? (library, presets, styles, etc... 24 Apr 2022 01:23 #120181

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Using MIgration Assistant might be more robust than restoring from Time Machine. I've never really tried a Time Machine restore when moving to a new system.

Doing a manual transfer would be the best possible way forward, though it could take days to transfer things. You could ask the software vendors about storage locations for settings and data, or do a 'net search.

Cruft that comes with moving to a new system using Migration Assistant or a Time Machine restore could cause issues, especially older applications, plugins, system extensions, etc. You may need to troubleshoot things from time to time if you go this route.

Manual migration can help keep your new system "clean". You'll have to decide on which option is okay with you, especially if you're under a time constraint.

• Page: