fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 15:09 #120164

Hello,

I have an iMac running FCP 10.4.9. I was wondering if there is a setting to find duplicate photos/videos on the timeline. It is just so hard to manually search for these things and delete duplicates when you have hundreds of pictures/videos on the timeline. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 15:13 #120166

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
FYI, the recently-released FCP 10.6.2 has a new duplicate detection feature. One limitation is that it doesn't work on retimed clips. Otherwise, it's a very nice (and long-requested) addition to FCP.

Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 18:42 #120170

Hi Davis,

I updated to 10.6.2 and tried the "show duplicate ranges". it really does not do the thing I want. Is there any other way to find out duplicate images on the timeline so I can delete the duplicates? Thank you!

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 18:48 #120171

Are you using still images? Dupe detection doesn't show duplicate stills.

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 18:53 #120172

Hi Tom,

Yeah I'm using still images (jpeg). It detects audio duplicates but not images. Is there any other workaround? Thank you!

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 23 Apr 2022 19:03 #120173

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Hmm, it should work...

I just did a test. I created a new Event in a Library I've been working in. I selected the Event and dragged in some video and still image files to the Browser. I edited those clips into a new timeline. When I added the clips a second time, the dupe detection overlay (gray diagonal warning "stripes") appears in the clip label for the clips in the timeline. If you open the timeline index and select clips, similar "stripes" should overlay each duplicate clip in the timeline.

Perhaps, you could try a test (maybe even in a new Library), and let us know if it works... Restarting your computer if you haven't since updating FCP might also help... Thanks.

Cheers.

P.S. - I used both JPEG and PNG still images, along with H.264 and ProRes 422 video clips; they all worked and showed duplicates, as expected in a ProRes 422 timeline.

macOS 12.3.1, FCP 10.6.2, 2019 (Intel) Mac Pro

Last edit: by DaveM.

Finding duplicate clips on the timeline 24 Apr 2022 16:41 #120189

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try this. I also have another workaround. I tried deleting the duplicates in the finder before I upload the files to FCP. That worked too but need to do it manually.

• Page: