fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

More Beach Ball Problems 22 Jan 2022 19:31 #118605

• RBF1965
  • RBF1965's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So I am still working my my film and trying to finish the sound mix as well as adding captions. I got crumple pop plug ins for the sound and they are playing nicely with FCP. However I am not just getting spinning Beach Ball as I am getting closer to the end of this 2 hour and 8 minutes project. I am using a brand new Mac mini with 8G of ram (specs Below). Do I need to upgrade my RAM? I am pretty much at a stand still here. I am working in Proxy preferred and I have cleared the render files regularly as well as the cache and its still locking up when I open the project file.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model Name:Mac mini Model Identifier: Macmini9,1 Chip: Apple M1 Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency) Memory: 8 GB System Firmware Version: 7429.41.5 OS Loader Version: 7429.41.5 Serial Number (system): H2WFT801Q6NV Hardware UUID: 5B80169D-9354-56A6-82EE-046047910E40 Provisioning UDID: 00008103-001A350C21D9001E Activation Lock Status: Enabled
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More Beach Ball Problems 22 Jan 2022 22:15 #118606

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Most all Macs have memory soldered in so upping RAM won't be an option. On problematic exports I've found it's often quicker to do a work-around than to waste time spelunking for the problem.

First thing I'd do is export four 54 minutes segments. If all are successful I'd merge to a single file and be done with it. If one of those 1/4s were bad I'd export as halves and continue to do so to narrow down where the problem was. (Once discovered a SOLITARY frame as the culprit. Presented as a black frame on playback but since I playback at least 2x speed on reviewing it went unnoticed.)

Another option might be to export one file as VIDEO only and another file as AUDIO only. Success or no at either of those will narrow down which element is botching the export. If both A & V are successful as separate functions, merge them..

If you're not encoding to h264 from say a ProRes master it shouldn't take more than an hour to get the '4' for final master assembly. You've likely spent considerable more time wrestling with this demon.

More Beach Ball Problems 22 Jan 2022 22:58 #118607

• RBF1965
  • RBF1965's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
the problem isn't so much exporting as finishing the work I need to do. The file itself is jut spinning as soon as I open it..

More Beach Ball Problems 23 Jan 2022 00:05 #118608

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 513

...I got crumple pop plug ins for the sound and they are playing nicely with FCP. However I am not just getting spinning Beach Ball as I am getting closer to the end of this 2 hour and 8 minutes project. I am using a brand new Mac mini with 8G of ram...

You are using x86 CrumplePop audio plugins on an Apple Silicon machine. Normally an x86 plugin will not run under Rosetta, but there is a loophole where a separate x86 container process can be emulated along with the x86 plugins, then it communicates with the host process (FCP in this case) via cross-process XPC calls. It is not efficient and I've seen various problems reported from people who try it.

As a test I'd suggest de-installing all CrumplePop audio plugins then see if FCP hangs with a beach ball. If not, post those results. If it hangs only when CrumplePop plugins are installed, they recommend contacting them about the problem: crumplepop.com/are-crumplepop-plugins-co...-silicon-based-macs/

If you are not on Monterey 12.1 you should upgrade as there were some widely reported memory leak problems before that.

• Page: