fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 21:15 #118515

I have a new Library that contains 20-some Projects. Most match the duration of their media, but some are fully 5 or 6 minutes longer than the media loaded into their timelines. These export as black frames when sending them to Compressor. I can’t find anything about how to set a Project’s duration explicitly.

I’ve tried adding placeholder clips then deleting them. No dice. I’ve even tried using Command-Shift-B on the last frame, but on a 23-minute Project, this resulted in a Placeholder being added and the 25-minute timeline became 45 minutes!

This makes zero sense to me.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen anything like this? (This is making me long for QuickTime Player Pro having full editing capability, so I could just trim the black frames and move on…)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 21:22 #118517

You can trim clips in the current QT player. You could also set an In and Out range for export from FCP.

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 21:39 #118520

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 513
It's possible the project databases are damaged. I described one scenario in this post, but that was unique to having retimed clips then using Edit>Remove Effects or Remove Attributes on multiple clips: fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/3622...ultiple-clips#118405

There is an undocumented project repair menu, but I've never seen it actually work. You access that by selecting the project then doing OPT+Clip>Verify and Repair Project. I would make sure the library is backed up beforehand. In Finder if you right-click the library and pick "Duplicate" that will make a full copy. If there are lots of cache and render files you might want to delete those first. I would also suggest exporting an XML of the full library.

You can also try to copy a project to another library. The best way to do that is create a blank transfer event, then copy (not move) a project to that event, then drag/drop the transfer event to another library.

Where did the "new library" come from? Was it formerly not damaged? If so you should save all current FCP auto backups, which by default are in /Movies/Final Cut Backups. Once safely preserved, you could open them one at a time and see if there's a version without the damage.

In general FCP data integrity is excellent but every now and then a problem happens.

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 22:22 #118524

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47

...(This is making me long for QuickTime Player Pro having full editing capability, so I could just trim the black frames and move on…)

Still use it on a daily basis for all sorts of things, particularly the SAVE AS REFERENCE FILE that keeps you from having to re-render a 146GB, 2:24:00 file even if deleting a single frame.

Attachments:

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 22:33 #118525

Split Clip and Trim! Somehow missed those menu items! I did more editing in QuickTime Player 2.5 than I’d care to admit, and I’d somehow assumed when Apple stripped so much of the editing functionality out of QT Player X that they’d removed ALL of it. 😎👍

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 22:45 #118526

I’ve been using Final Cut since version 1.2, and I’ve literally never heard of this menu. The Finder is full of Options that are only available when holding down the Option key, but I’ve never seen this in Final Cut Pro before!

This totally sorted out my 3 or 4 Projects that were misbehaving, and saves me from cleaning things up after exporting (and forgetting to after the 3rd “final” export).

Thanks so much for this! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it! 😎👍

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 18 Jan 2022 22:46 #118527

Oh, I remember this well. Authored a HyperCard + QuickTime CD-ROM back in 1995. :)

Catalina was the end of 32-bit apps like QuickTime Player 7 for me, and on my M1 MacBook Air, there’s no way to get there from here.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, though. :)

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 19 Jan 2022 01:14 #118529

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 513

...This is making me long for QuickTime Player Pro having full editing capability, so I could just trim the black frames and move on…)

As already explained, the current version of Quicktime Player can do "no encode" trimming. It can also delete multiple ranges from within a clip, close the gap and save the result -- all without re-encoding. So it's very fast and there is no generational loss. See MacMost "Easily Trimming Video Files With Quicktime Player": https://youtu.be/W7NrlhZin4M

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 19 Jan 2022 01:55 #118530

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Still.... You can't beat QT7 as to the number of options available to you as far as...
1 - Final play destination:

2 - Quality, frame rate, etc:

(Hubba Hubba)

3 - Choice of codec:

- - - - - Addendum - - - - -
Ooooooo. Nearly forget this little gem:

4 - Export image sequence:

Then import frames by:

Selecting frames:

Then export something like a time lapse movie:

Last edit: by VTC.

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 20 Jan 2022 14:04 #118562

I’ve tried adding placeholder clips then deleting them. No dice. I’ve even tried using Command-Shift-B on the last frame, but on a 23-minute Project, this resulted in a Placeholder being added and the 25-minute timeline became 45 minutes!

This makes zero sense to me.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen anything like this?
Yes, same has happened to me sometimes.

I solve them just selecting all clips in project, copy, create new project and paste clips. Then it's OK.

Final Cut 10.6.1: some projects are much longer than their media; how to fix? 20 Jan 2022 14:58 #118564

That makes sense. I had tried duplicating at the Project level without success. Didn’t think of that — which seems so obvious now that you point it out that I feel stupid. :)

• Page: