fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Test SD card health 12 Jan 2022 13:52 #118400

I work internationally and sometimes in very remote places so it's important that I have enough "healthy" SDXC cards in my kit. I've searched online but not found any (seemingly) reliable info about a way to test one's cards to see if they are going to be reliable. Is there such a thing? Is there there any way to estimate the lifespan of a card before it should no longer be trusted? (BTW, I use Lumix GH5 & 5s cams and always record in parallel to 2 SanDisk Extreme Pro cards AND make two Hedge backups before importing to my FCP media drive.)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Test SD card health 13 Jan 2022 18:29 #118432

Techtool Pro, by Micromat, will check do a surface scan for bad blocks, check the volume structure and file structures on rotating drives, SSDs and SD cards. It can also check the life expectancy, using S.M.A.R.T. status, on rotating drives and SSDs.

There is not way to check the life expectancy of SD cards. They do not have any internal health tracking mechanism, like S.M.A.R.T.

Test SD card health 18 Jan 2022 18:57 #118511

Thanks for taking time to reply, Larrie. I think I will slog on, trusting that recording to 2 cards in parallel and then multiple backups will protect me. I can't see paying for the app.

• Page: