fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 11 Jan 2022 22:38 #118387

• kilbsy
  • kilbsy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I've used this forum for information many times and never posted, so thanks for all your expertise.

Here is my issue, I'm cutting my timeline into beatmatched sections and then replacing the placeholders with clips from the browser using replace from beginning command with a keyboard shortcut.

I'd like to know if there is a way to do this that doesn't involve having to use the mouse to go back to the timeline, highlight the next clip, return to the browser and then highlight the next clip for replacing the footage.

If there is a way, then feasibly an entire timeline of pre favorited browser clips could then be automatically laid out over the placeholders I'd previously cut to size.

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING, and I'm wondering if a macro would work as there are keyboard shortcuts to shift focus and advance clips, etc so any help would be appreciated.

I also have timeline clips I would like to use but they don't work using the replace function as far as I know.

**another idea was to set a duration in the browser for the in and out points and move this around so that all my favorited clips would be the same length then select all and press E to make a timeline of all identical length clips to basically get the framework down. Is this possible? I know I can select all the timeline clips and pres control d to do this.

Any input on this appreciated as it seems a bit clunky to do it one by one, like i am doing.

Many Thanks

Barry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 12 Jan 2022 00:58 #118388

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 686
First request, no, there isn't.

Next, you can select multiple clips in the Timeline at once, double-click the Timecode readout for the Timeline, type in a duration, hit enter, all highlighted clips will conform their out points to fit that duration.

As for "I also have timeline clips I would like to use but they don't work using the replace function as far as I know" I'm not sure that that means. Can you explain more clearly what you're trying to do?

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 12 Jan 2022 09:09 #118393

• kilbsy
Thanks for the reply that’s helpful. Regarding what I’m trying to do, I have a pre edited sequence on the timeline, later I decided to use a plug in to create a new edit beatmatched to the music, I already have the graded files on the timeline and was wondering if I can drag them into my newly created placeholders and hat the plug-in has made. I’m the same way the replace function from the browser to the timeline works.

I am basically looking for a way to quickly edit to the beat, I have the structure in place and will now add clips from the browser individually dragging and dropping over the selected placeholder. It’s a shame it couldn’t be done as a batch then adjusted. And the method you’ve given for creating in and out points of the same duration might be a work around for now.

what I wanted to do was have all my favourited selections fill the precut layout. Then adjust for variety and pacing after.

Thanks for your help.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 14 Jan 2022 22:15 #118461

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
You could place the audio in the primary storyline.
Then playback and hit M to create markers on the audio clip, as you tap out the beat.
Then you have markers to do a rough edit to.

But there are lots of ways to do it. What specific plugin are you using?

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 15 Jan 2022 00:10 #118462

• kilbsy
thanks Ben,
I’ve already matched the beats and made a template track, it’s a case of dragging and dropping clips now from the browsers onto the gap clips using replace clip function. It’s just a repetitive process and I was wondering if there was a way to do the whole thing in one.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 15 Jan 2022 14:29 #118471

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
I don't think you can batch replace like that, no. But, an alternative would be to batch add to the timeline as Connected clips. Then if necessary, select them all at once, Overwrite Primary Storyline.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 15 Jan 2022 14:33 #118473

• kilbsy
Yes, but this doesn’t trim them to the placeholder clips so it wouldn’t really be any good. I don’t think there’s a way to do it as I would like. It’s just a lot of repetitive moving from one panel to the other to replace 100 shots ! I might try and use command post or Mac automation to record a macro that can replicate the keystrokes. Thanks for your input.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 15 Jan 2022 14:37 #118474

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Not sure that's going to work either, but keep us up to date.

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 15 Jan 2022 23:30 #118476

I’m not sure I understand all of your workflow description but I thought the following might work:
say you have 100 clips as place holders in your timeline and 100 favourites in your browser.
Select all 100 favourites and right click and select new project. Now copy all clips in this project and paste them as connected! Clips into your placeholder project.
I would assume that most of the time your connected Favourites will be longer than the placeholder clips in your main storyline. With the play head at the start and nothing selected in your project press the down-arrow to jump to the first edit in your main storyline and making sure the play head dote is on the connected favourite above press option-] (right bracket). This will trim the out of the connected clip to the play head making it the same length as the place holder in the main storyline below.
After you’ve done this for all you can select all connected favourite clips and press command-option-down arrow to drop all on the main storyline overriding all place holders.

just an idea :-)

Any way to batch 'replace file' or proceed to next clip automatically 16 Jan 2022 00:05 #118477

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
I think the issue is there are 100s of clips to do this to, so she's looking for a one-button, so to speak, solution. I don't think that exists. I think she should have worked with the original clips from the beginning, not placeholders. The only solution I see is doing a Replace From Start edit to each clip at this point.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.
  • Page: