fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 00:38 #118364

Hi all,

Some projects in my library are showing a red dot in the centre instead of the usual preview frame. Is this a bug? Any ideas what might be causing it? I'm on FCP 10.6.1

Thank you

Marco
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 00:51 #118367

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 687
That red dot means you broke it! Just kidding, I've never seen that before. I'd try deleting all render files in that Library, then deleting FCP's pref files.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 01:19 #118369

Thanks Ben. I'll give it a go. That said I've tried multiple times for other problems deleting preference files and not once has it worked... where does this solution come from do you know? Do you ever get anyone responses saying it worked?

Update: it did not work.. in fact, every project has a red dot now! The delete prefs strikes again....

Last edit: by marconoe.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 01:51 #118371

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Yes, it does fix some things, not everything, and is simply standard troubleshooting. Did you delete all of that Library's render files? What macOS and FCP versions?

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 01:57 #118372

Alright.. I'll keep the faith... just ;)

I deleted all render files via File > Delete Generated Library Files > Delete ALL Render Files

FCP 10.6.1
MacOS Monterey 12.0.1

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 02:34 #118373

Maybe try to delete your cache file. Check where FCP stores the cache file for your Library by selecting the library and look in the inspector what directory the cache file is generated in for this Library.
Delete the whole cache file and restart FCP. FCP will rebuild the cache on the go as needed. I had cases where the cache caused problems.

I also recommend to upgrade the MacOS to 12.1. There are bugs in 12.0.1. Can't say for sure that they would cause problems with FCP but my system now runs very smoothly.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 02:49 #118375

I will give it a shot thanks Carsten!

Update: my cache is stored In Library and after a quick google it seems the way to delete the cache is to Delete Render Files as per Ben's suggestion I've already tried. Does this all sound like what you'd expect Carsten?

I'll update my MacOS this evening for sure! I'm finding 12.0.1 quite clunky especially given im on a brand new M1 Max MBP

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 05:22 #118376

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Final Cut Library Manger, highly recommended.
No, that menu you used to delete render files doesn't delete cache files. Again, Final Cut Library Manager.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 11 Jan 2022 05:30 #118378

If the Cache is inside the Library you need to locate the Library in the Finder, Right-Click and select 'open package'. Then you can locate the cache file and delete it.

For the reason that it's hidden inside the Library, and for when you want to store Libraries on something that is not a fast SSD drive (best performance for FCP) I set my cache directory on my internal SSD to a folder called 'FCP cache' (doesn't matter where that is on your drive. This way I can easily locate a cache for a specific Library and delete it. Rarely necessary but good to have quick access.

PS forgot to mention that I haven't seen the red dot you're seeing so not sure the cache delete will do the trick.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 12 Jan 2022 04:05 #118391

Hey marconoe, did deleting the cache fix anything? Would be good to know. Thanks!

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 01:09 #118412

Hi Carsten thanks for following up with me. I haven't been able to find cache inside my FCP Library. Please see a screenshot of what comes up when I show package contents. Do you know what I'm missing here?

I'd be eager to hear more about the optimum way to set up project and folder locations if you have any knowledge or resources you are willing to share? Some context below:

I recently bought a M1 Max MBP with 4TB internal SSD. I bought 4TB because I wanted to shift away from working on an external SSD (I still keep my smaller/faster turn around projects externally).

This project, which I'm getting help from you to debug, lives on my internal SSD. So even though the cache is In Library, it too sits on my computer. Would you still recommend setting an external folder somewhere else on my internal?
Attachments:

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 01:57 #118413

Ha you got me :-) Been a while since I located a cache inside a Library so can't remember what it should look like.

But there is an easy solution: Create a folder in user>Movies called 'FCP Cache'
Select your Library and change the Cache storage location via the Inspector to that folder. If I remember FCP will ask you what to include when moving the cache (but not sure :-). What ever it asks just say yes.
Once done you can check the new folder and delete the cache with the name of your Library and restart FCP and lets hope that will fix your problem.

For any exisiting Library you have to manually change the cache directory to the new folder. Any new Library should be created with the cache directory already set to the new folder, but double check for the first few times when creating a new Library.

It's a good idea to delete any cache file for any Library that was created prior to your computer change. I had a Library playing up and tried everything known like delete pref etc but only deleting the cache fixed the problem.

As to the best or most efficient workflow there are diff scenarios and requirements that could influence how you set up your media and Libraries. The basic advice is that the faster the drive the better for both media and Library. As you have the fastest SSD setup in the new M1Max that I know of (have the same just with 2TB) you already have the best setup. The only problem you have to decide for larger Libraries is if you have to manage media on external drives because you need more than the 4TB that you have. Another factor is whether you want to backup the media separate from the Library. In principle again it's easiest if you have all enclosed in the Library and have only have to BU that one file. But people have diff requirements like for instance need to excess media from diff Libraries at the same time and do not want to duplicate the media.
Have a read through my article: fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2203-1-yea...oad-with-fcpx-part-1 here on FCP.co and look specifically look at the 'Workflow' section further down. I'm using this system for quite a while now and it worked really well then and is working really well now on a feature doc I'm working on.
Any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 02:55 #118414

Hey Carsten! Thank you very much :)

I did the FCP Cache trick and even though it didn't fix the red dots I'm happy I've been through the exercise as a greater clean up of this library. I'll be working in this thing for the next year or so as I set out to edit my first feature length documentary - a daunting task when I've only every been what you'd call a youtube/social media creator. I'd love to pick your brain on how to set myself up for success if you wouldn't mind sharing your time. Otherwise I'd love to see more of your articles :) Speaking of...

Thanks for the link! I read it with great interest because that's the style of work (remote filming/editing) I'd love to explore. By the way, it's such a small world. I was contacted by a production house a year or so ago that I think produced your series perhaps? Or a media agency? Someone that was related to the project because when they got in contact for a quote on some work for them here in Perth WA they showed me your show. Now that I think about it maybe they were just referencing it?! Who knows. In any case, I'd already watched an episode :) it's great to meet one of the creators!

Last update on the small red dots... they go away and normal thumbnails appear if I double click on the timelines to open them up... weird. I still have some reservations about this library but slowly fixing it up before we get into edit.

Cheers!

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 03:19 #118415

Now I feel really stupid!
Your comment of saying the red dot goes away after you load the Project made me think maybe it depends on the project contents because the thumbnail image is autogenerate from the footage that is in the project (it takes the frame that is exactly in the middle of your project length).
And what I saw to my embarrassment is that yes sometimes there is no image automatically loaded (I assume FCP saves memory space by initially only loading what is immediately needed from the Projected/or footage) and what looks to an old man with glasses as just a black image is in fact a black image with a red dot in it 🤪 So what you're seeing is normal!!

Yep small world re our project. But I guess that they only used our project as a reference as we never looked for freelance people outside our company. Anyway glad you like it, thank you.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt.

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 03:28 #118416

Oh ok! Well that's great news then. At least that seems to be functioning fine.

Oh no i didn't mean to suggest they were looking for me to work on that project - I meant they showed it as part of their portfolio perhaps.Anyway, small world. Thanks again for you help

Is a red dot inside project thumbnail a bug? 13 Jan 2022 15:48 #118424

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 473
It is likely a bug and seems unrelated to project content. If I simply use a generator to make a 10 sec clip, export that as ProRes 422, import that to a new project, then in Finder open the library package and delete the thumbnail media folder inside the render folder, a black project thumbnail with a red dot appears. When you double-click to open the project, it fills in the thumbnail and the red dot is gone.

It may simply be cosmetic, but I'll go ahead and file it as a bug. It happens on 10.6.1 on both x86 and Apple Silicon.

Edit/add: it doesn't happen on FCP 10.5.3.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: