fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 10:52 #117847

Hi,

I have one useful compound clip. It's animation with keyframes, elements etc. I'm using it on some projects. But everytime when I'm using it - i need to copy it from previous library where compound clip was used, to new current library.

It's not optimal - I need to keep libraries where this compound clip was used. To open it and copy to new library. Is there any way to save / export compound clip to some file or effect (to import later)?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Joseph87.

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 11:06 #117849

What is inside the compound clip? Is there any import media? If so, it might get a little tricky.

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 11:21 #117851

Hi.
Yes - in this clip I have imported media (images). It's mix of images, keyframes, titles etc. It's more like a ready to use effect - but packed to compound clip. At this point - I'm forced to keep libraries with this compound clip, or at least one library, just to copy this clip to a new library.

It would be easier to export compound clip - if that's possible, and import if needed.

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 13:28 #117853

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 686
Do you ever change things in this Compound? I'd consider making it a Title or Generator in Motion, using DropZones for media that would be replaced with each use.

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 20:51 #117881

Yes - I'm changing things. Mostly text in title, sometimes duration on timeline. But mostly text. Images are fixed / constant, not changing it. I'm thinking about buying Motion, it's a hint. It's another reason to but it. Probably it would be the best solution.

Thanks!

Last edit: by Joseph87.

Saving compound clip as effect 08 Dec 2021 22:50 #117883

Hi.
Yes - in this clip I have imported media (images). It's mix of images, keyframes, titles etc. It's more like a ready to use effect - but packed to compound clip.

I have at least 25 types of videos for various subscriptions and target audiences, each of which has its own Project with intro and outro compound clips and various other audio presets and adjustment layers with previously used "color grading" (I use that phrase loosely, but I do have a number of common locations and I like to have all previous looks available for any location).

I place all these Projects (timelines) into about 10 audience focused Events in my "Common Events Library" so that I have all options available in one place. This Library is named with the date I last updated it (e.g. 2021_1208 Common Events) in placed my ~/Movie folder, with a zipped version of the Library (in my case the zip is about 400MB) in an iCloud folder which is synced to all the computers I might use for editing (I also zip my Motion Templates and saved audio presets, if I make any changes to them). Any changes mean I change its name to today's date and place a new zip into iCloud. I no longer have to search for that one audio preset, title, and look as they are all in that Library with supporting files available.

When I have a new video to do, I create a new empty Library, and then drag the most appropriate Project file from my Common Events Library into the new Event folder in the new Library. All media, settings, etc. are moved along with the Project I have chosen based on various logos and content that are in compound clips or Titles and Generators I want for the new video's audience.

Once in the new Library I'm able to double click into any compound clip that resides in any Project that was moved and update the text or other aspects of it for the new video. I'm able to easily delete any of the clips or layers if I don't need them, knowing they are still in the Common Events should I find I do need any of them.

If I ever adapt an adjustment layer I rename it and add it into its original project in the Common Events Library so it's available next time we use that location or I want that look. I often will keep the Common Events Library open along with the new video Library so that things can be quickly moved in whatever direction is needed at the time.

Last year I'd just duplicate the entire Common Events Library for every new video, but there were many projects with extra media in them that I didn't need that I started just dragging the single Project file I did need to the new Library.

I developed this method over the last 5 years or so and it is exciting to see how every so often I optimize some part of it to make it work even better for my workflows.

Wow, that was longer than I had in mind when I started typing!!! ::grin:: I trust that it will be helpful to someone.

• Page: