fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 04:49 #117810

Just got my new MacBook 16' 2021 and stumble over one little detail. I have my system/app menu set to 'automatically hide'. When I try to resize FCP to cover the whole screen it doesn't let me and sizes down and leaves the menu space left and right of the notch blank, meaning showing the desktop picture behind.
Even when I go to full screen mode FCP never sizes to more than below the notch. In fact none of my apps does.

Is this normal? Or where is the hidden setting which I can't find :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 06:21 #117811

AFAIK FCP has always worked like that on a laptop. If you click the green dot it will go into full screen mode. You can also move the application window to the top of the screen and manually fill the space. It doesn’t remember full screen mode on relaunch.

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 06:29 #117812

Thanks Tom. Sorry I wasn't clear in my description. On a pre 'camera notch' laptops you could enable 'auto hide menu' in the dock menu system preferences. Which made it look like it was in full screen but wasn't. When you move the mouse to the top of the screen the menu will appear, pretty much the same as the dock when you turn on 'auto hide dock'.
But on the new MacBook with the camera notch FCP (or any other app) never allows to fill the whole screen going 'under the camera notch'. So you always see an app or desktop behind on top in the height of the notch. There is an option in the app get info window to enable 'scale to fit below camera'. But it doesn't have any effect?
What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 07:18 #117814

I don’t think there is a way to avoid it. The notch really needs the menu bar to fit into it.

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 18:31 #117819

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 473
My problem is not aesthetics of the notch but function -- it covers the icons of some "menu bar" apps such as iStat Menus, esp. when combined with other apps like Resolve which occupy many menu positions. A workaround is using the excellent 3rd-party utility Bartender: www.macbartender.com

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 20:54 #117823

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 687
The notice is pretty stupid...

MacBook Pro 2021 Notch 06 Dec 2021 20:56 #117824

Thanks Joe, will have a look.