fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 17:39 #117795

Previously, I used MPEG Streamclip (MS) to extract small clips from larger GoPro and BlackVue dashcam files, prior to FCPX import. With the new laptop (M1), that's no longer an option since MS is a 32-bit app. Any suggestions? HandBrake does not support video passthrough. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 17:54 #117796

FFWorks is my go to app for conversions: www.ffworks.net. See if it can do what you want.

Last edit: by thinkfilm.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 18:02 #117797

Thanks. I saw a reference to FFWorks elsewhere online earlier today. I'll check it out.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 18:35 #117798

Another option is Shutter Encoder. Free, but donation requested. I'm not sure about passthrough, though. Telestream Switch does offer passthrough, but it only encodes one file at a time - no batches. It's also a bit pricey.

Last edit: by Oliver Peters.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 19:46 #117800

QT Player is an option as well.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 04 Dec 2021 22:23 #117802

Thanks all for the suggestions... I downloaded ffWorks [...finding and installing the correct ffMPEG file was somewhat of a challenge...] and did tests with that and QT. MediaInfo indicates slight differences between ffWorks, QT and MPEG Streamclip, but the sizes of all three files are very close. I liked MPEG Streamclip because everything could be done with keyboard shortcuts (about a half-minute workflow per file). ffWorks and QT workflows are not (apparently) supported by kb shortcuts. No big, as they say...

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 05 Dec 2021 11:22 #117803

Doesn’t Apple Compressor do that too? Pretty sure I have used pass through on Video and Audio before. Been a while.

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 05 Dec 2021 13:16 #117805

Yes, you are correct...
larryjordan.com/articles/apple-compresso...m-longer-video-clip/
I might consider getting that in the future. At $50 (the price of a typical plug-in), it's fairly reasonable.

Replacement for MPEG Streamclip: A/V Passthrough Option Needed 07 Dec 2021 22:34 #117842

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Having Compressor as part of your FCP workflow is absolutely essential. I would potentially consider Motion to be an 'optional' add on, but Compressor and FCP are crucial for so many workflows.

• Page: