fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Workflow question 01 Dec 2021 03:40 #117737

• klard
  • klard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
hi everyone, I'm new in here.
I'm trying to post a thread but it gives me an error message. so sorry if i sabotaged this thread. so here is my situation/workflow :
1. I'm using an external NVME SSD (Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB) with external enclosure USB 3.1
2. my FCPX library, my raw footage, my extra B-roll, and graphics element stored and edited via that SSD.
library setting, leave files in place and background render OFF.
3. I'm currently only working with 1080p footage and output.
4. my machines are MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro
5. my external SSD formatted NTFS for flexibility handing files over/to windows editor. and I'm using Paragon NTFS.
6. I'm not seeing any hiccup as far as playback and editing, maybe the audio wave takes a couple of seconds if I zoom in zoom out or blade trim the timeline.

my problem is:

7. my external SSD got extremely hot, but I cannot measure how hot it is exactly because S.M.A.R.T cannot be applied with an external NVME SSD within macOS.
8. it's not comfortable to touch, maybe imagine trying to touch the top bottom of 16" intel MacBook Pro when rendering a long project in FCPX and connect to 3 external displays and the MBP, not in clamshell mode.
9. its that okay? I'm hearing horror stories from my collage about library corruption, files and folder missing, weird things that happened in timeline, like library not saving properly and the edit you make slightly off, like certain cut unsync/different from your make the day before, etc. and they say, it's the storage problem because their SSD/HDD got hot. but if im honest, they're not a super techy person. so yea.

10. or am I doing it wrong? maybe the library must be located somewhere else outside raw,b-roll,graphic element folder?
11. or the SSD format is wrong, it must be APFS for these to works?
12. I don't think it's the enclosure fault, because even tho it's not "name brand" or thunderbolt or anything, it's made from aluminum and got a thermal pad that contacts my ssd with that enclosure. and I tested to game directly from it in windows and nowhere near as hot as editing FCPX with my MacBook. in windows, it's hover around 40-50 degrees while gaming.

wow, that's a lot of words with questionable grammar, sorry for my english. of anybody got an idea? I'm currently editing a project from it, finger crossed nothing happened with this hot stuff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Workflow question 01 Dec 2021 06:34 #117738

I've got a Sabrent 4TB SSD in a metallic enclosure for heat dissipation and yes it does get very hot. It's APFS formatted. I think SSD's do get very hot when working hard. But I have no comparison to other brands to see if mine gets hotter than what is suppose to be normal? The app 'Macs Fan Control' reports 40C for my Sabrent and 39C for my internal SSD in the 2016 15' Macbook Pro, so I figure it's a normal temperature and only because the enclosure is the heatsink you feel it.

Workflow question 01 Dec 2021 18:20 #117751

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 473
Some SSDs get very hot and performance may significantly degrade during sustained write operations. Attached is an actual photo I took when transferring data between two 2TB Samsung T5 SDDs at a restaurant. They would slow down from about 500 MB/sec to about 220 MB/sec until we applied the cooling device shown. Then performance went back up to 500 MB/sec.

Some SSDs like this Helix 2TB have heat fins built into the case which helps: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=BH%20%...ialSearch=yes&sts=ma

You can also get a little USB-powered fan: www.amazon.com/dp/B00G059G86/
Attachments:

Last edit: by joema.

Workflow question 02 Dec 2021 04:28 #117758

• klard
thx for the reply all,
@carsten yea, i also think it's normal for SSD to got hot when works hard + most of the enclosure (and also yours and mine) is designed to dissipate heat from that said SSD. but i really do feel this got to extremely hot, sadly i cannot measure how hot its exactly.
from what ive read and tried, apps like Macs Fan Control, istats, driveDX etc.
here's an explanation from DriveDX :

@joema
that some "creative cooling system" if I saw one, haha.
sadly i cannot copy that system because my MacBook docked eye level to monitor and my external SSD dangling about right now.

and i just bought this Samsung 970 Evo plus + the enclosure. so no budget left to buy another ssd system plus i lived in Indonesia, over here everything tech-related is about 1.5-2.5x more expensive for the name brand like samsung.
and don't even think about high-end stuff like OWC or Caldiggit, they didn't even have an official distributor in here. so they are about 3-4x more expensive than let's say US price.

so are you guys all using APFS for the format?
have anybody tried NTFS + software like paragon NTFS?
and from what I've read in this forum/R*dd*t so many of you put FCPX library at internal SSD and all the stuff (video,Broll, graphic asset, etc) at external SSD, it is wrong to put it all at external SSD?

thx before
Attachments:

Workflow question 03 Dec 2021 04:53 #117781

sadly i cannot measure how hot its exactly.

Mac Fan Control shows me the temperature of my internal as well external SSD's. You might have to scroll now in the app window to see the entry. But it could also be that your SSD doesn't have a sensor?

Workflow question 03 Dec 2021 17:17 #117784

• klard

sadly i cannot measure how hot its exactly.

Mac Fan Control shows me the temperature of my internal as well external SSD's. You might have to scroll now in the app window to see the entry. But it could also be that your SSD doesn't have a sensor?

my external SSD don't show up in Mac Fan Control, maybe because of this :

but your Sabrent 4TB, which is NVME SSD and did show up at Mac Fan Control at your mac. hmm.. if I may ask, what brand/model is your enclosure?

Workflow question 03 Dec 2021 23:50 #117790

My SSD is connect via Thunderbolt 3 which could make a difference? See model and details in attached screenshot.
Attachments:

• Page: