fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

frame rate of synced clips? 27 Oct 2021 17:07 #117037

Hello,

I added some 30 fps footage and separate 48 khz audio files to a project, selected each pair of audio/video and created synced clips. Then I added the synced clips to the timeline and started editing.

Later, I realized that Final Cut Pro created all the synced clips at 24 fps, and set the project to 24 fps based on the synced clips. I see now that I can override the settings if needed when creating the synced clips, but I had assumed that it would use the frame rate of the supplied video clip by default.

Now I'm trying to change the frame rate of the synced clips if possible without redoing all my editing. Using the same principle as changing the frame rate of a project, I double-clicked each synced clip in the browser, did a Select All, cut to the clipboard, clicked the synced clip's Modify button in the video inspector, changed the fps to 30, then pasted the contents back in. Now if I select the synced clips in the browser, the inspector says they are 30 fps. Then at the project level, I selected everything on the timeline, copied to the clipboard, made a new project, pasted and chose 30 fps when prompted. Now the inspector shows the project is also 30 fps. So far, so good.

However, when I select sub-clips (the cropped portions of the clips) in the timeline, then inspector still shows them all as 24 fps. I don't see a way to modify a sub-clip's settings separately from the entire clip, and I wouldn't expect that to be necessary -- I would expect the sub-clips in the timeline to just be portions of the overall clip and therefore to always be the same format.

Is there something else I can do here? Maybe FCP just has the sub-clips tagged as 24 fps somewhere even though they are really 30 fps now? I can't tell visually if the clips are playing at 24 fps or 30 fps. But I figured it was best to use the same frame rate throughout if possible.

Thanks for looking.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

frame rate of synced clips? 28 Oct 2021 07:07 #117048

Later, I realized that Final Cut Pro created all the synced clips at 24 fps

When you created the sync clips did you leave the settings on automatic in the bottom left of the dialogue, or did you have 24fps manually selected. FCP takes the FPS from the video source clip unless you tell it otherwise.

then inspector still shows them all as 24 fps

Sync clips are containers (same as Compounds, just a special type) and the clip inside the sync clip never changes FPS. You can only have the sync clip have its own diff FPS.

clicked the synced clip's Modify button in the video inspector, changed the fps to 30

not sure what you're doing here as you can't change a sync clips FPS once it is created.

However, when I select sub-clips (the cropped portions of the clips) in the timeline, then inspector still shows them all as 24 fps

this sounds like you're actually still using your original sync clips created at 24 FPS.

I would expect the sub-clips in the timeline to just be portions of the overall clip and therefore to always be the same format.

They definitely are so you are expecting the correct behaviour here. The problem is earlier in the workflow.

FCP dynamically adjusts FPS to a projects or container (sync, compound, Multicam) timeline FPS. If your original clips are 30 and you put them in a 24 FPS sync container FCP will drop frames during playback to maintain the same duration.

So I think unfortunately there is no quick fix and you have to recreate all sync clips at 30 FPS and create a new project with a 30 FPS timeline. You might be able to copy paste your 24FPS timeline into this new project for reference but you have to replace all clips with the correct 30 FPS sync clips.

Maybe somebody else has some better news. I do not work in 30 or 24 FPS but did some quick test with 25 and 30.

frame rate of synced clips? 28 Oct 2021 07:41 #117049

When you created the sync clips did you leave the settings on automatic in the bottom left of the dialogue, or did you have 24fps manually selected.

I left it on automatic. When I tested this later, it defaulted to 24 fps even with a 30 fps video clip, but I could override that to 30 with the Custom button.

Sync clips are containers (same as Compounds, just a special type) and the clip inside the sync clip never changes FPS. You can only have the sync clip have its own diff FPS.

That's what I figured, and the clips inside the sync clip always were 30 fps. Now I have the sync clip changed to 30 fps, too (when I inspect the complete sync clip in the browser). I've also changed the project rate to 30 fps. It's just all the edited bits of the sync clips in the timeline that are still showing as 24 fps in the inspector.

So I think unfortunately there is no quick fix and you have to recreate all sync clips at 30 FPS and create a new project with a 30 FPS timeline. You might be able to copy paste your 24FPS timeline into this new project for reference but you have to replace all clips with the correct 30 FPS sync clips.

I'm not sure of the terminology here, so just for clarity, I've done several interviews and each interview has about three video clips about 20 minutes in length. I created synced clips of those video files with audio from a separate recorder. Then I put the synced clips on the timeline and chopped them up into 10-20 second bits and rearranged them and I'm calling those "sub-clips" for lack of a better term. Since there are relatively few of the 20 minute synced clips, it was pretty easy to manually convert those to 30 fps as described above. But I was surprised to find that all the 10-20 second sub-clips derived from them are still showing as 24.

I just noticed that if I click a sub-clip in the timeline, the inspector shows it as 24 fps, but if I right-click it and choose Reveal in Browser, the inspector then shows what is presumably the same clip as 30 fps. So I wonder if this is simply a bug where FCP is reporting the wrong fps because of the unusual workflow I've followed. Unfortunately I don't have a good enough eye to tell what they're really playing as.

frame rate of synced clips? 28 Oct 2021 13:29 #117052

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 468

...Maybe FCP just has the sub-clips tagged as 24 fps somewhere even though they are really 30 fps now? I can't tell visually if the clips are playing at 24 fps or 30 fps...

I just tested this on FCP 10.6 with 30 fps material in a 24 fps sync clip and a 24 fps multicam clip, both in a 24 fps timeline. In that case the uneven 30>24 cadence is visible on moving objects. I then copied/pasted them from the 24 fps timeline to a 30 fps timeline and it seems to play smoothly. The sync clip and multicam containers still show 24, but the playback characteristics look like it's using the underlying 30 fps clip frame rate.

You also cannot use optical flow rate conforming on a multicam or sync clip, which can smooth out rate conforming roughness. While that would not be a perfect solution it could help in some cases. However it's not an option here.

As a separate issue, its often better to use a multicam clip not a sync clip, even if you only have one A/V and one audio source. That is because multicam inherits characteristics from the parent clip and sync does not. It would not help in this case, but if after editing that multicam/sync clip into a timeline, within the multicam you could change the color or even the clip itself for another clip and the all edited instances in the timeline would immediately show those changes.

frame rate of synced clips? 29 Oct 2021 04:40 #117073

I just noticed that if I click a sub-clip in the timeline, the inspector shows it as 24 fps, but if I right-click it and choose Reveal in Browser, the inspector then shows what is presumably the same clip as 30 fps.

That's correct behaviour as the sync clip in the browser and the in your project timeline are independent from each. In the moment you place a clip from the browser into a project timeline FCP makes a copy. The idea behind this is that project contain all information of the clips it contains so you can move or copy just the project into a diff library and all data is enclosed in the project.
So if you change the sync clip in the browser after you placed it in the project the change doesn't ripple into the project.

frame rate of synced clips? 29 Oct 2021 07:32 #117074

That's correct behaviour as the sync clip in the browser and the in your project timeline are independent from each. In the moment you place a clip from the browser into a project timeline FCP makes a copy.

Ah, that would explain it. So then is there any way to recreate the timeline clips using updated browser clips? I just took a guess -- I dragged the full sync clip from the browser onto the cropped sync clip in the timeline, then selected Replace from the popup options -- and it worked! It automatically cropped to the same position and length of the timeline clip, but now the timeline clip is 30fps!

If someone has an even faster solution, let me know, otherwise it won't take too long to go through and drag the browser clips onto each of my timeline clips to update them.

frame rate of synced clips? 31 Oct 2021 19:10 #117102

Here are some observations about updating the timeline clips from the updated browser clips, in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation:

- When I modified the sync clip frame rates by cutting and pasting their contents, that reset the audio volume on the video track, so both audios were playing together. I had to turn off the audio for the video tracks. That was simple since I caught it before updating all the timeline clips.

- Instead of dragging the full sync clip, I had to drag whatever appeared when I chose Reveal In Browser for the timeline clip. Sometimes this was the full sync clip and sometimes a sub-clip.

- After dragging onto the timeline clip and replacing, I lost any effects and audio level tweaks and had to re-add those. This actually gave me an opportunity to apply some of this within the sync clip first rather than applying it to all the individual sub-clips in the timeline.

- After replacing, the timeline clip almost always shifted to be one frame longer, and then I had to manually adjust that back again. Sometimes I had to adjust from the start and sometimes from the end to restore the original position. I used the audio waveform as a visual guide about whether it shifted forward and needed to be trimmed from the start, or not and needed to be trimmed from the end. This was the most time-consuming part of the process.

Hopefully it will be worth the effort to have all the frame rates consistent as I had intended them.

Last edit: by arlomedia.
  • Page: