fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 25 Oct 2021 14:52 #116973

As a quick introduction, I am super-new to FCP. I am (slowly) going through the purchased Ripple training but FCP confounds me. I am super lost. Still, I keep trying. I can see its power, but it also feels like when I made the transition from Audacity to Reaper, Reaper being a professional's DAW.

I am a hobbyist.

All of that is to say I'm going to ask some really stupid questions...

And here's the first"

On a project that I create in Shotcut every other week, I fade to white and remain in white for two seconds. In SC, I basically have a track that's a huge white block under the primary track that extends from the beginning of the timeline to the end. A clip fades into that background white. I then put the next clip at two seconds later and fade in from white.

How can I achieve the same effect in FCP? I've seen several small how-tos on how to make a fade to white, but not a hold on the white for a specified number of seconds and I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Thanks all

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 25 Oct 2021 15:22 #116974

You can do this using the Fade to Color transition. Apply the transition and lengthen it as needed. With the transition selected in the Timeline in the inspector you'll have the transition controls. You can set the color to white. The Hold slider is the number of frames. In a 30fps project, 60 will be two seconds. How long the fade is depends on the length of the transition. You might want the transition to be 120 frames, for a one second fade to color, two second hold, and one second fade from color.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tom Wolsky.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 26 Oct 2021 00:19 #116992

Thanks so much... In this case, the length of the transition (the handles) are two seconds total. Here's what I have for the inspector settings. I'm struggling to figure out the math. The video is 25fps.

I think I see how the midpoint adjusts the speed of the transition, but I'm struggling to do at:

1. Transition to white
2. Hold for two seconds.
3. Transition to next clip...

Without super quick fades.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 26 Oct 2021 00:25 #116993

The Hold needs to be 50 to make two seconds. The mid point should be 50. The transition has to be longer than two seconds to have a two second hold. How fast do you want the fade to color and the fade from color. If you want a half second in and half second out, make the transition three seconds.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 26 Oct 2021 00:35 #116995

Oooh, I think I see what you mean.

25 FPS
1. Hold for two seconds (50)
2. If I wanted a .25 second fade, then I need to add 6 frames on either side (12 total).

That'd made the entire transition ~2.5 seconds?

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 26 Oct 2021 00:43 #116996

That should work.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 27 Oct 2021 16:41 #117035

Thanks a bunch. I seem to be doing okay with it. I see that I can make some other adjustments with the Precision Editor too which I happened to stumble across. The way Shotcut deals with this is it gives you handles on either end of the clip and you pull of them to lengthen or shorten a fade. So, the math things feels odd to me.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 27 Oct 2021 16:52 #117036

You mean like this?

Dragging the ends of the transition lengthens or shortens it. The first number is the current length of the transition, the second the amount of change.
Attachments:

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 27 Oct 2021 18:17 #117040

Actually, no. It was this...

What I was finding is if I set the Out point on, say, a few frames from when someone stopped speaking and then place the transition on the end of the clip, then the transition would encroach too far into the clip and once I added the transition I couldn't extend the clip itself. Every time I grabbed the right edge it would just extend the transition time. (I'm sure there's a way to extend the clip with the transition on top, but I couldn't figure it out.)

I found that if I went into that editor and grabbed that horizontal hourglass, I could move the transition without extending or shortening it.

There's probably a better way to do all this, but...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Ultramagnustcv.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 27 Oct 2021 18:49 #117041

If you zoom into the transition in the upper left and right corners are two tabs. These let you adjust the lengths of the underlying clips. By grabbing the left tab you’re pulling the end of the incoming clip, pulling the right tab adjusts the outgoing clip.

Fade to white but hold white for two seconds 30 Oct 2021 00:05 #117085

Tom,
Yep! With your help I got the hang of adjusting the length of the clip after the transition is applied.

And I wanted to come back to thank you. Thanks to you, I finished my first project! I really appreciate your expertise and patience!

• Page: