fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Relink from XML to compound? 20 Oct 2021 09:50 #116809

I've got an XML of an edit created in Descript which has given me the cuts I need to begin an edit. Its linked to offline/low res media I created from the 3 original files, in a string out. Now its back inside FCP, I'd like to replace the low res media with a compound clip, or Multicam clip (which contains the high res media) but FCP doesn't seem to be able to?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Relink from XML to compound? 20 Oct 2021 12:46 #116814

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
What exactly is FCP not able to do? Read the XML? Create a Compound or Multicam from your clips? I'd start with FCP and stay in FCP. Instead of Descript use Simon Says. And FCP has media management tools that make string-outs pretty outdated.

Relink from XML to compound? 20 Oct 2021 12:53 #116817

Thanks for your reply. The XML is fine - I have a timeline inside FCP, but the media its referencing is the low res export I did an FCPs compound clip (which contains 6 clips all on a single timeline - the interview was 6 different clips - as well as a second camera track - which is also another 6 clips). I'd like to replace the clips on the XML generated timeline with the compound clip, retaining all the cut information - in points and outpoints, that have been created in Descript, but seemingly it can't do this - 'replace' by dragging onto each clip loses the in and outs. I use Descript firstly because its fantastic, secondly, because it enables me to work with various producers who can edit the words then I can import the XML.

Relink from XML to compound? 20 Oct 2021 13:50 #116819

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Did you do the string out in FCP? If so, I would just re-export that as a ProResHQ or ProRes4444 file and make sure you have the same audio channel configuration, then use that to be your file that you're pointing the edit to.

My understanding is that you've basically created a single file and now you want to replace it with multiple different files. The only way to work around it now is to create an identical single file like you did with your string out and relink to the new ProRes export.

Hope that helps!

Last edit: by Doug.

Relink from XML to compound? 20 Oct 2021 13:57 #116820

Thanks for that. Yes - thats what I'm ending up doing - but its 90 mins interview so huge file. Also - its a Multicam clip - so I have to do this x 3 and then somehow match up the two other camera angles manually. It seems crazy that this isn't possible - just by dragging the compound / multicam onto the edited clip and, as long as its the right length it should match..l

• Page: