fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCP Not Importing Media 16 Oct 2021 01:29 #116734

• Ben Balser
  • Ben Balser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
All of the sudden, on old Libraries and new, iMac Pro, I have the Library set to store media inside the Library itself. But when I import media, nothing gets imported. It's like everything is Leave In Place. I'm going to try deleting prefs in the morning, but I've never seen this behavior before. Any clues? Anyone else see this before?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCP Not Importing Media 16 Oct 2021 11:24 #116735

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 468
In general it should do whatever import prefs say. However there is some tricky behavior when dealing with (a) tree-oriented media and (b) If during an import session you momentarily set the UI import dialog to "in place". In that case it may flip back and forth between "copy to library" and "in place" as you cursor down the media list.

I haven't see it do that if you have prefs set for "copy to library" and if you never set the import dialog to "in place".

IMO it's cumbersome to use so I usually drag and drop from Finder, always verifying whether it shows an arrow (signifying "in place") or plus sign (signifying copy).

A related tricky area is the library will be created with the storage properties of the last library you previously clicked on in the sidebar. That is independent of "in place" vs "copy", but introduces another non-intuitive aspect.

FCP Not Importing Media 16 Oct 2021 12:54 #116736

• Ben Balser
  • Ben Balser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
Yes, I've verified all import settings (I drag-and-drop 99% of the time), which is why it baffles me. I tried switching setting from copy to library to leave in place and back to copy to library, didn't change anything. Deleting the pref files, then resetting all my preferences and such seems to have fixed it. Very odd...

• Page: