fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fix an SVHS problem..is there a plugin? 11 Oct 2021 23:13 #116679

There is probably not an answer to this but thought I would ask. I have someone who gave me some old VHS tapes but unfortunately it was a dub from an SVHS to VHS done on a VHS tape and as you know (for those who know about tape formats) you can't play an SVHS tape on a VHS machine..Oh well, the output shows. The blacks streak into high contrast areas of course. Probably not but thought I would ask if anyone knows of a plugin to possibly correct the visual as shown below. It is really bad, and yes garbage in garbage out, but any correction would be helpful to preserve a memory to some extent.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fix an SVHS problem..is there a plugin? 12 Oct 2021 02:14 #116681

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 24
Nope. Nothing can be done to correct this but to play it back in a proper SVHS machine. Those streaks are the result of playing a 400 line (SVHS) tape in a 240 line (VHS) machine. At 400 lines 1/2" tape finally matched the resolution of Hi8 camcorder tape.

You could spend hours trying to dig up a SVHS machine scouring pawn shops and Craigslist and eBay but the prudent & reasonable thing to do is to spend the $20 it should cost and have the transfer done for you. (Hopefully by someone with more tech savvy beyond taking the order and phoning when it's ready.)
- - - - - Footnote - - - - -
Even with all the tapes brought in months go by without encountering an odd SVHS tape or two in the same order. Interestingly, I did get a filmmaker stop in four months ago with an absolute pristine SVHS-C camcorder he bought on Offer-Up that he planned for capturing that vintage look.
- - - - - Updating - - - - -
Re-read your problem. Apparently you don't have the ORIGINAL SVHS tape, only a VHS tape that was mastered FROM it which means those dark smears that plague the tape are pretty much there to stay.

I've never been tasked with correcting or removing them and I can't imagine anyone developing a plug-in capable of remedying the situation let alone wanting to spend the edit time $$$ wise required to fix it if it could be fixed at all. I doubt it could be done. Professionals used 3/4" U-Matic (300 lines) back then which really marginally improved on VHS 240 lines. I think you're stuck with it unless you can locate the original SVHS. And if you DO locate it be certain the concern can transfer SVHS.

Last edit: by VTC.

Fix an SVHS problem..is there a plugin? 12 Oct 2021 04:44 #116684

Thanks for the quick reply..yep..I thought there would be no answers but thought I would ask around. I didnt transfer this but someone was not paying attention at all and left with a burned in result of a SVHS played back and dubbed on a VHS machine.

Fix an SVHS problem..is there a plugin? 12 Oct 2021 09:52 #116686

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 461
It's probably hopeless but you could play the file in VLC and try the various deinterlace settings: Video>Deinterlace>On, then Video>Deinterlace mode>Yadif. Try each of the modes in turn to see if any make an improvement.

Fix an SVHS problem..is there a plugin? 12 Oct 2021 13:11 #116688

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 24
His problem isn't the interlacing (that can be dealt with) but the black 'wet ink' smear that always trails to the right. This malady is irreparable.
(
I'll create and post a better sample of this effect so that others searching for an answer later on will have a clue as to why their VHS tape has this odd appearance. Not many will experience this out in the wild.
Attachments:

• Page: