fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 09:54 #116427

Hi ! I can't realize and can't get used to FCPX sound workflow.
For instance, suppose I have some audio clips - one for music and several clips for effects and other foley things.All what I usually need - to have all fx clips to routed to some group bus, - so I would have a possibility have some fx on that audio bus. some dynamic plugins for FX, or add some ambiece for all dialogues etc....It's obvious, that it's imposible copying fx plugins on all foley clips on the timeline.
So, likewise, I need an ability to do this with music clips, also with dialogues, any...Any routing, and also of course have some FX on my master output. Where all these busses eventually connect.
You'd say - it's easy - just use compound clips for it, but (!) as soon I gathering parts of my audio in compound clips I'm loosing an ability to edit these audio parts together with wideo playing.
Suppose after adding clips in compound clip I need to move slightly some phrases in dialogues or change posution of audio fx - I can open compound and do these of course, but actuallly I can't - as I can not play back my video while I'm in compound edit.
Tell me please is it possible to do such an easy ( comparable to any video editor I've ever dealt before ) thing in FCPX ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 10:19 #116428

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 656
"... it's imposible copying fx plugins on all foley clips on the timeline."

You can. Set up one clip with the audio filters you want, copy it, then select all the others and use Paste Attributes.

But yes, you've discovered FCP's biggest failing, no professional level audio scheme. No, compounds don't work for the reason you stated. Frustrates me to no end. If anyone suggests round-trip to Logic Pro X, it only works for the most simple of projects. I have found over and over that larger more complex FCP projects fail to go to Logic properly, and coming back to FCP is a mess.

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 10:28 #116431

Hi!

Have you assigned Roles to your clips? If so, you only need to compound the entire timeline and select "Show Audio Lanes" in the Timeline index. The Roles (and sub-roles) will appear as individual lanes on the timeline. You can apply effects or volume changes to any lane, just like you would apply them to an audio bus. And you can apply effects and changes to the entire compound clip, just like you would apply them to the Master output:

If you need to further tweak individual lanes such as move positions of clips in a lane or apply individual effects or changes to any clip in a lane, you just open the Compound Clip and you will be able to edit individual lanes while still seeing the video:

- Ronny
Attachments:

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 10:37 #116432

Thank you very much !

I've already been playing with audio roles in fcpx but had no success yet.
So will try now one more time as you tell me it's possible to achieve what I need.

Thanks for all answer !

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 10:40 #116433

Perfect! If you have any further questions about using roles in fcp, get back to us. We are here to help.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 11:08 #116434

What version of fcpx you use ? Is the ability to edit compound clip in such context has come into just several ver before ?

I can do as you'd advised me and can apply some fx i need separately on fx and music clips (roles), but when I'm trying to click on audio roles FX - it nothing happens, and also when I turn roles display off - so I can see only my compound clip - and when I click on compound it of course opens without a possibility to view the video.... (
hm....

Though I seems can get this behaviour when I add to compound clip all clips on the timeline - not only audio clips. When you advised me "adding it all to compound", didn't you tell me about I should add an all timeline ( with video together) to compound or I should add to compound clip only audio ( music and fx) clips ?

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 12:29 #116437

I use FCP 10.5.4. But the ability to use Roles as audio busses has been in FCP since a few years now.

Once you have assigned specific Roles to all your clips, you should create a Compound Clip of the entire timeline including the video (CMD+A to select all the clips on the timeline followed by ALT+G to create the Compound clip).

Then you press the Index button, select Roles, and press the Show Audio Lanes button.

- Ronny

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 12:33 #116438

you should create a Compound Clip of the entire timeline including the video

yes, now it's all clear ! Thanks !

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 26 Sep 2021 12:34 #116439

You are welcome!

- Ronny

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 27 Sep 2021 13:54 #116447

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 656
"If so, you only need to compound the entire timeline..."

But you can't mix audio, and edit video at the same time. If I have to redo some video edit, I can't do it while hearing my final sound mix. That issue has never been solved with FCPX in ten years. Why not?

Sound Editing Workflow in FCPX 27 Sep 2021 20:06 #116457

" I can't do it while hearing my final sound mix.

Yes, true... I just have an access only to that level before my compound with other foley, soundtracks or dialogues fx has been done...And that sort of workflow I've also stumbled upon every time, even when I need do only complex audio mix (not mentioning if I need an audio depends from video edits) always was so disappointing and annoying to me, providing my 20+ years professional audio background. But btw I'm very clear understand these days Apple business design.

• Page: