fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

working remotely with FCPx 22 Sep 2021 02:16 #116389

Is there a way to work on the same project - at home and remotely with 2 hard drives, one a clone of the other's files so that when I get back home fcpx remembers the work I did? I have a fast OWC Thunderblade SSD at home and a small portable NVMe for travel. I thought if I named both drives the same it would work, just copy the library file over. First problem was i could not name the road drive the same as the "thunderblade", (default name btw) something about two many characters, strange. Then I gave the road drive a name, hit the library file, but nothing linked up. Seems like there is a way to do this I just can't figure it out. In Edius this was easy but alas my business is all Pro Res delivery. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

working remotely with FCPx 22 Sep 2021 04:10 #116391

Probably the easiest would be to NOT duplicate the master clips but to create proxies for on the road.

Import clips from your thunderblade into FCP. Change the media destination to your portable drive. Then select the clips and select transcode to Proxy. These proxies will be created on the portable drive now.
If using the same computer for both at home and on the road, create the Library on the Internal drive. Change the viewer to 'Proxy preferred'. Connect full res media at home, and when on the road the portable drive with the proxies. When FCP can't find the originals it will use the proxies.

If you're using different computers for home and on the road drive setup stays the same but you need to exchange XML files between the libraries stored on each.

This is a rough run down of your possibilities. Let us know which setup you have and any specific questions you might have.

working remotely with FCPx 22 Sep 2021 14:21 #116401

Postlab

working remotely with FCPx 22 Sep 2021 19:23 #116403

Thanks Carsten,

I've got about 250GB left on the Macbook Pro (out of 500 total) and not all the files are in the project library folder. As I understand it open FCP, clear out the portable SSD, "Change the media destination to your portable drive" - not sure how to do that, do you mean to relink the files? i haven't ever worked with proxy files so I'm not sure of that process. Well let me start on this and maybe i can get it to work. My always move my project files over to the big RAID5 drive but there's a backup on the computer C drive.

working remotely with FCPx 22 Sep 2021 23:07 #116405

good article to read to get your head about proxy workflow
workflow.frame.io/guide/fcpx-proxies

• Page: