fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Consolidate broken in newest version? 13 Sep 2021 10:55 #116223

• Zooc
  • Zooc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone, I'm having some major issues with consolidation. I've gone through all the right steps and whenever I try to consolidate a finished project—I'm talking all media here, including sound effects, music etc—FCP makes aliases to the originals and doesn't actually copy them to the library.

Initially the files were on Google Drive so I thought that might cause some issues so I moved some of the originals to the native drive and re-linked them. Upon consolidating I got the same issue, just aliases linking to the originals. Even the custom sound effects I have just link to the Apple Loops folder and don't get copied over.

No matter what I do and how I import these files, consolidation only produces aliases and doesn't copy the actual files. I haven't been able to find a tutorial addressing this issue as everyone just exemplifies this with 2-3 clips that get copied and nobody seems to ever have issues.

Am I doing something wrong or has someone else dealt with this? I need to be able to archive the project and have it be self sufficient.

Using an M1 Mac Mini with the newest version of FCP if that counts for anything.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 13 Sep 2021 13:27 #116224

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 461
When you create a new library to consolidate a project, the storage properties are set to the *last* library you clicked on in the sidebar. If your previous library used external storage, then you click on that, then create a new library, the new library will used the previous library's storage locations. Therefore when you consolidate media to that new library it will not be stored internally, but as symlinks to the previous library storage location.

After creating a new library, use library inspector>Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Media to ensure it is configured for internal storage.

Then to consolidate the project, create a "transfer event" in the original library, drag/drop the project to that transfer event, then drag/drop that event to the new library, then consolidate. If the bare project is copied to the new library, that can create other problems. After drag/drop of the transfer event to the new library, THEN consolidate. The media files associated with the project should then be in the new library.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 16:13 #116262

• Zooc
Did exactly as instructed, problem still exists. Files that were on Google Drive stayed in place, files that were stored in the original library now show up as broken links. It just copied over a bunch of files randomly and left the rest as broken links/aliases. It honestly looks like FCP can't make copies of files that were imported from a Google Drive/Dropbox synced folder. I tested it with copying files to a NAS and then importing them, it did the same thing. Pretty bonkers considering so many people use cloud services to store assets.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 17:30 #116266

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
In my experience there is all kinds of mayhem that is created by Google Drive. Even Google Drive itself doesn't always work as it should when it randomly feels like it - so I would recommend making sure that whenever working on a project you're only working with files that are stored locally as copies. I would make sure that everything is stored locally as a copy (not in a Google Drive folder) and then try the process again.

Also, as a random side note, Cloud services can cause problems if you're backing up Libraries to them so I would always recommend zipping those Libraries before uploading them. (Or if it's Google Drive you can upload via Safari and it will automatically zip it, it doesn't do this in Google Chrome)

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 18:00 #116268

• Zooc
Worked for 8 years in Premiere Pro using assets stored either in a GDrive folder or Dropbox, never had issues when consolidating. Anyway I've been experimenting a whole lot with consolidating the past couple of days and it seems like a completely random bug. I even used media stored locally, consolidating at clip level, event level and library level and all it does is create shortcuts to the files.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 18:18 #116270

Not sure what you're doing, but I can't reproduce a problem with consolidate. If content is set to store inside the library bundle, and you consolidate, that's where the content will be copied to. Other library settings will not copy into the library. Without knowing exactly what you're doing and what settings you're using it's hard to say what causing the result you're getting.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 18:57 #116271

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 461
If it doesn't work reliably with media & libraries on locally-attached drives, there's no need to examine cloud or NAS storage until that is resolved. Otherwise you don't know where the problem is.

If when using locally-attached storage the failure to consolidate seems "random", that is suspiciously like the above-described situation whereby storage locations are determined by the previous library you clicked on before creating the new target library for consolidation.

Before trying consolidation with all local files, verify the library storage properties of both source and destination libraries are as expected. In your case that would be source library using external storage and destination library using internal storage.

To inspect those use Library Inspector>Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Media. On the source library that should be a locally-attached folder and inspection with Finder should show the media present. Inside the library should be symlinks pointing to those. That configuration simulates the cloud or NAS-based scenario.

Using Library Inspector on the destination library should show Media: In Library. Both should ideally be on either APFS or Mac OS Extended Journaled volumes, not ExFAT, NTFS or anything else.

After verifying the above, to consolidate a finished project, create a "transfer event" in the source library, then drag/drop the project to that event. After that drag/drop the event to the destination library. After that make sure the destination library is selected in the left sidebar and press Media>Consolidate in the right-side Inspector. The project and all used media should afterward be present inside the destination library.

Consolidate broken in newest version? 15 Sep 2021 19:06 #116272

• Zooc
Computer froze cause of some random thing, hard rebooted it, opened up a library and imported a whole bunch of files including from Dropbox, Google Drive and my NAS and it all copies over to the library now flawlessly. It must be a bug or something because I've done this before several times and got mixed results.

Thanks for the suggestions but it doesn't seem like something that could've been manually fixed. Consolidate simply stopped working right for me, computer was shut down and turned on again and not it works with the exact same library it previously didn't work with. Now to try and figure out what causes it to randomly malfunction...

• Page: