fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clips greyed out on import 11 Sep 2021 14:23 #116197

• parkerhqj
  • parkerhqj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi. As you can see, some of my QT clips are greyed out. These are clips I had previously imported and edited into my timeline. I copied the library to a new drive and when I reconnected the clips, I was informed that these couldn't be relinked because one had audio and one didn't. I don't really get that but the clips are now greyed out even though the files sizes indicate there is media there. Has anyone run into this before? I know the footage is there - I just can't access it! thx!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by parkerhqj.

clips greyed out on import 11 Sep 2021 21:54 #116200

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 456
Pick a single grey clip (which should show as red in the event browser) file, then do File>Relink Files>Original Media but do NOT relink it. Rather examine the bottom of the relink dialog and in grey letters it will tell you where it expected the file to be.

Does that give you any clues? Does that file exist at the same resolution as you expected? Do you have multiple copies of the same file at different resolutions, or different files using the same name? E.g, are you trying to relink to a proxy file? Transcodes can change file attributes such as timecode, audio config, etc, which cannot be overriden during FCP relink.

Normally it should relink but the files must match certain criteria, such as filename, extension, duration, audio config, starting timecode, etc. FCP relink criteria:

- Files must have the same audio config (same number of channels), but sample rate can differ.

- Pixel aspect ratio should be the same, but it may relink even if different. This could result in a squeezed or stretched frame.

- Relinked file duration must be the same or longer as the timeline *clip*. Note this is timeline clip not file clip. Absent a timeline you can relink to shorter files. But if used in a timeline the file must be long enough to cover the timeline clip.

- File name including suffix must be the same.

- Codec need not be the same, e.g. you can transcode ProRes originals to 720p H264 and relink those.

- If the clip timecode does not match the original file, it will not relink. The error is "The original file and new file have no shared media range". This is due to metadata in the video header labeled "time code of first frame".

- After relinking to a different resolution file, the viewer may show a window-boxed screen. This is typically a cache issue and can sometimes be resolved by deleting the FCPX cache, which is either stored in the library or outside as defined by the library inspector. The cache is a file bundle named LibraryName.fcpcache.

It is often informative to use the 3rd-party tool Invisor to compare side-by-side the video header metadata from the two files when relink fails: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

However if you cannot determine the location of both files (say via a name search across all drives which might contain it), FCP is likely comparing the metadata characteristics of the initially-imported file to the current relink target. Unfortunately that metadata is stored in SQL tables within the library and there's no FCP command to display that. But you can select that clip in the event browser, do File>Export XML, then in Finder rename it to .txt and display it with Quick Look or Preview. Sometimes it's possible by studying that XML to deduce where the two different versions of the file came from.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: