fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 13:50 #115619

• YoanGJ
  • YoanGJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I know that this problem had multiple topics but I tried every solutions and nothing worked for me.

I have a white generator on my main timeline and then a plan containing a green screen above. I set the Keyer on the plan with the green screen, everything works fine but then when I set a mask, I get a thin black line following my mask shape.

I tried to crop my video so we don't see the line and it works but I later want to rotate my video so I have to mask it. I also tried to reduce "soften" to zero in my Keyer option but it's still not working. And finally I tried to put the Keyer above the mask in the effects but then my clip is completely hidden and I don't know why...

Does anyone has an idea please?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 14:19 #115620

Hi Yoan, welcome to the forums.

What type of mask are you using? I have tried to reproduce your issue but I don't get any thin black lines with the Custom Mask or the Shape Mask.

- Ronny

Attachments:

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 14:25 #115621

• YoanGJ
Hey Ronny! Thanks :)
I use a custom mask. But what's also weird is that when I apply the Keyer above the mask just as you did, my mask is masking the whole video. And when I click invert mask, the whole video appears again...

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 14:47 #115622

Can you make a screenshot of the Inspector showing all the settings of the keyer?

- Ronny

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:12 #115623

• YoanGJ
Sure, here it is, everything is set to default
Attachments:

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:22 #115624

Thank you. I just needed to check if there weren't any weird settings in the keyer that could cause your issue. Everything seems okay.

The final thing I would need to see is the settings of the mask. It's not normal that adding a mask would mask out the entire image. What you describe actually only happens when the Fill Opacity of the mask is set to zero.

- Ronny

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:25 #115625

• YoanGJ
Here's what I have when I put the mask under the Keyer and then above it.

I started a second project from scratch and I have the same problem

Thanks for your time :)
Attachments:

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:34 #115626

My pleasure. The keyer should always be on top of the mask, so I would leave it there. The issue seems be related to the Mask effect.

Can you try to set the Fill Opacity slider of the mask to zero% instead of 100%?

If that does not make a difference, please try a different Mask effect such as the Shape mask instead of the Draw mask. Just to see if the issue is related to a specific mask effect or not.

Also very important: make sure that Background rendering is always OFF when you do things like this. If Background rendering is on, turn it off and delete the generated Clip files or Generated Project files before you do anything else.

Thanks!

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:45 #115628

• YoanGJ
Setting the fill opacity of my mask to 0% did not change anything and unfortunately I have the same problem with a shape mask under my keyer...

I turned of background rendering, deleted generated clip files, closed FCX, reopened it and still the same result when I apply a new mask...

Also took a screen of my timeline, nothing special but if you see something wrong...
Attachments:

Keyer + mask = black lines 03 Aug 2021 15:55 #115629

Okay, next steps.

First, select your Project and delete all generated Project files. Just to make sure that the issue is not related to corrupt render files caused by continuous background rendering. Check if this makes a difference or not. If it does not make a difference: delete the mask from the clip.

Then close FCP and launch it again while holding the Option and Command keys pressed down. You will get a message asking if you want to delete your preferences, press the Delete Preferences button and let FCP open again. Once FCP has launched, open the FCP Preferences and make sure to turn background rendering OFF.

Finally, add the mask again.

- Ronny

Keyer + mask = black lines 04 Aug 2021 09:42 #115639

• YoanGJ
Ouch, it did not work... I followed every single instruction and I still have the same result...
If that was your last thing to try I think that I'll uninstall and reinstall FCPX and see if it fix it

Thanks again for your time!

Keyer + mask = black lines 04 Aug 2021 13:26 #115641

Sorry to hear this hasn't worked. It's one of these weird things where an issue cannot be replicated and thus is very hard to solve. Reinstalling FCP might be a solution.

If that still would not help, there are a few other things you can do:

1. Use Crop instead of a mask. When you want to rotate the image, the Crop will follow the rotation. I just tried this.

2. Put the Mask above the Keyer again. You will get the dreaded thin black line. Then go into the Keyer settings, set Shrink/Expand to -3 to make the line disappear. This will also affect the key quality but you can solve this by sliding the Mid- and High Levels in the Matte tools to the left to re-adjust the key quality.

I have done a test with my footage and it works like a charm. Screenshot 1 shows the image with the black line, screenshot 2 shows the image after the adjustments in the Keyer.

- Ronny
Attachments:

Keyer + mask = black lines 04 Aug 2021 14:53 #115644

• YoanGJ
I opted for the solution 2 as my crop wasn't following my rotation 🤔

Anyway it's working fine now, thanks again for your help!

Keyer + mask = black lines 04 Aug 2021 16:14 #115647

Glad to hear this!

I don't understand why masking does not work for you out of the box, nor why your crop doesn't follow rotation. There must be something wrong with your FCP or MacOS install.

This is an original green key clip:

This is the cropped original:

This is the keyed out clip:

And this is the rotated clip with the crop following the rotation:

When you have the time, I would advise you to completely re-install OS and FCP.

- Ronny
Attachments:

Last edit: by ronny courtens.
  • Page: