fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 09 Jul 2021 15:09 #115358

My new Mac Mini M1, 16gb Ram, 2Tb SSD Storage will be arriving shortly, Is partitioning the 2Tb drive into 2 Drive recommended.Will partitioning affect the perfomance of the Hard Drive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Penglam.

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 09 Jul 2021 15:43 #115359

Could I ask why you want to partition the drive? It shouldn’t impact the performance at all noticeably.

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 09 Jul 2021 15:43 #115360

Could I ask why you want to partition the drive? It shouldn’t impact the performance at all noticeably.

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 09 Jul 2021 20:51 #115364

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 651
Realize that you still only have the data bandwidth of one drive, not two. The two partitions have to share it.

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 11 Jul 2021 14:12 #115381

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 207
Hello Penglam, Welcome to the forums
This is an interesting and important question and one everyone should consider. In the past partitioning a hard drive, had a couple of advantages, but many disadvantages. Now with APFS file system, I think there are distinct disadvantages and little to no advantages to partitioning a drive.
APFS creates "containers" that are size dynamic. This means that the OS will allocate space within the containers as needed, thereby having access to all memory available. A traditional partition would require reformatting the drive, for space increase and a complete wipe and reformat if you wanted to eliminate the partition. Not so with APFS, you can create and remove "containers" except for system locked containers such as the OS Kernel that is protected.
Many APFS features would be hampered by old style partitioning, like snapshotting, dynamic sizing, etc….
I no longer believe that partitioning a drive is a good idea, especially the internal start-up drive. External drives, especially ssd no longer have advantages to being divided up. Just let containers handle it. This gives the OS the most "breathing" room for swapping blocks and write-on-demand copying. Creating partitions, will slow down the operations especially as each partition begins to fill up, which is why having as large a drive as $$ allow so the drive has room to copy and write with lots of free space. Don't hamper this by chopping up and creating smaller spaces.

IMHO do not partition any drives.
Happy Editing, Greg

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 12 Jul 2021 17:34 #115407

• VTC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I can't see ANY advantage partitioning a drive these days. In darker times I'd place different operating systems on each partition but I'd need someone to explain why it makes sense technically, not emotionally, as to why it should be done.

The moment you bump your head against the size limit of a partition is the moment you'll kick yourself for partitioning at all. (That's all it took for me to abandon that senseless witchery.)

Brand New Mac MIni M1 And Partitioning Har Drive 13 Jul 2021 01:40 #115414

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 651
Back in the day it could be useful to grant some users access to one partition, other users access to the other partition. Or simply as an organizational tool. But with SSDs, meh, not as important I guess. It's a practice from way back when we also really did have to seriously de-frag drives regularly.

• Page: