fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 30 Jun 2021 23:16 #115283

• trinko
  • trinko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got some GoPro video that is sidewise; that is what I want to be the top of the video is on the right and what I want as the bottom of the video is on the left.

When I drop that into a project the project sizes itself as 2160x3840 but I want it sized as 3840x 2160. I tried setting the project size to custom and setting it to 3840x2160 and then rotating the video but I'm worried I'm losing data since I can magnify the resulting video a lot before it goes out of the frame which shouldn't happen if I didn't lose data.

I've only been using FCP for a few weeks so a simple explanation of how to do what I want would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 01 Jul 2021 00:38 #115284

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 652
After you rotate the video, in the inspector, set Spacial Conform to None, Scale (All) to 100%.

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 01 Jul 2021 00:38 #115285

Good question as I had the same problem the other day. You would think 3840x2160 are the same amount of pixels than 2160x3840. So when you rotate it it would occupy the same space. But it doesn't in FCP :-).
Where are the tech savvy people that could explain that to us? My brain can't work it out..:-)

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 01 Jul 2021 03:01 #115286

• trinko
Thanks!

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 01 Jul 2021 03:02 #115287

• trinko
Well the instructions worked so I'm happy. Perhaps the issue is related to the fact that pixels aren't square?

How to rotate a vertical video into horizontal without losing data 02 Jul 2021 10:28 #115293

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 652

Well the instructions worked so I'm happy. Perhaps the issue is related to the fact that pixels aren't square?

No, it's all about the Spacial Conform setting. Fit and Fill can do weird things, I don't know why, it just does.

• Page: