fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Why do longer videos have choppy playback when at the 2+ hour mark? 28 Jun 2021 14:30 #115253

Playback is perfect to begin with, but if I skip ahead to around the 2 hour mark, playback suddenly becomes choppy/laggy. If I go back to the beginning, playback is fine again, so it's not like my computer is being overworked or anything. Also, I have plenty of free space and RAM.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why do longer videos have choppy playback when at the 2+ hour mark? 28 Jun 2021 17:16 #115257

What's the computer and drives? What's are the media specs? What are the project properties? What OS? What FCP version?

Why do longer videos have choppy playback when at the 2+ hour mark? 29 Jun 2021 00:02 #115263

What's the computer and drives? What's are the media specs? What are the project properties? What OS? What FCP version?
FCP 10.5.3
Attachments:

Why do longer videos have choppy playback when at the 2+ hour mark? 01 Jul 2021 12:12 #115290

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 455
One possibility is you have effects at the 2 hr mark that slow down the timeline. Try making a snapshot duplicate of the timeline, open that, remove all Fx via CMD+A to select and Edit>Remove Effects. Then check playback smoothness at various points on the timeline, esp. the 2 hr mark.

Another possibility is you're using background rendering and it hasn't had a chance to auto-render to cache the 2 hr point. For evaluating things like this it's often best to disable background rendering in FCP preferences, delete all render files via File>Delete Generated Library Files>Delete Render Files>All. That avoids performance variation caused by various timeline regions being rendered vs not rendered.

After removing all Fx from a snapshot of the timeline, if it's still slow, please post the detailed media characteristics. You can do that by using the 3rd-party tool MediaInfo or Invisor. I personally like Invisor because it has a side-by-side comparison mode that allows inspection of multiple clip metadata in an Excel-like grid: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

• Page: