fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Duplicate Titles when used in library 27 Jun 2021 13:26 #115240

Hello everyone,

Since the last the update to FCP 10.5.3, I started getting a pretty strange behaviour.

So when I drop in a title (doesn't matter which), to the timeline, and edit it, FCP seems to create a duplicate of this Titles library screenshot attached:

I have no idea why this keeps happening.
It reminds me of another bug where some titles appear as copies (e.g. MTitle 1 Copy) and then when you exchange projects they won't work on another system even though they have the title installed.

Has anyone noticed this behaviour? Any thing that could trigger it?

Many thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Domscillator.

Duplicate Titles when used in library 28 Jun 2021 04:35 #115244

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 261
I haven't confirmed this but I have heard reports of some people experiencing duplicated titles and effects when they have their library storage locations set to keep Motion content in the library (rather than the Motion templates folder). Check your storage locations for the library to see how yours is set. I am not sure whether it resets or sticks when creating subsequent libraries.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Duplicate Titles when used in library 28 Jun 2021 10:59 #115249

... I have heard reports of some people experiencing duplicated titles and effects when they have their library storage locations set to keep Motion content in the library (rather than the Motion templates folder). Check your storage locations for the library to see how yours is set. I am not sure whether it resets or sticks when creating subsequent libraries.
Keeping templates in library might be a reason. One should never do that.

Duplicate Titles when used in library 28 Jun 2021 15:41 #115254

... I have heard reports of some people experiencing duplicated titles and effects when they have their library storage locations set to keep Motion content in the library (rather than the Motion templates folder). Check your storage locations for the library to see how yours is set. I am not sure whether it resets or sticks when creating subsequent libraries.
Keeping templates in library might be a reason. One should never do that.

Thanks for this- why is that? Why is it not a good practice? Doesn't this make the library more self-contained when working with multiple computers-editors?

Duplicate Titles when used in library 08 Jul 2021 13:29 #115334

Ok I've done a bit more reasearch and accoring to Apple:

By default, when you create or customize any Final Cut Pro effects, transitions, titles, or generators in Motion, that content is stored in the Motion Templates folder located in your Movies folder. You can also store Motion content inside a library—for example, to move a project or library to another Mac, or to back up and archive your work. You may also want to store Motion content in the library if you’re working on a project with others and using shared storage.

If you have custom Motion content and you’re copying or moving clips, projects, or events to another library, storage device, or Mac, set the storage location for your Motion content to the library before doing so. Otherwise, the Motion content is not moved or copied with the other items, and you must manually back up and move the Motion Templates folder. Regardless, you must manually track and move any third-party (FxPlug) content, because it is not managed within the Final Cut Pro library.

So essentially, they are suggesting that you save the Motion Content in the library if you're planning to collaborate or move projects across several Macs.

Am I missing something? Is this a no-no for some reason?

To be honest with you, the copies that are generated feels more like a bug rather than user error over here. It's not even consistent when it happens.

Last edit: by Domscillator.

Duplicate Titles when used in library 09 Jul 2021 11:37 #115352

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 651
If the title is created in Motion and totally stored in the Motion Templates folder, storing a copy in the Library works fine. If it is a coded template or plugin, it won't store in the Library properly.

I've not seen this behavior, but yesterday a bug-fix update was released, see if that helps.
Also, your examples are MotionFVX templates and plugins, I've had them to strange things at times. Contact their tech support directly. These are all coded, not just done in Motion.

• Page: