fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to normalize audio (voice) in FCPX 15 Mar 2021 19:18 #113423

Hi guys, coming over from Davinci Resolve, and I'm looking for a good way to normalize audio for interviews.In Davinci Resolve, I used to have to just right click the audio file in timeline, select normalize volume, set it to -6db.Basically I want to normalize voice for an interview, and I need to put some background music as well.What's a good way to do this in FCPX?
Seems like Larry Jordan has some instructions using audio limiter? Is that the same thing? Limter seems a bit complicated, logic version, fcp version, adoptive limter... And on top of that you need to use a compressor?? I'm a bit confused. I've search in this forum but couldn't find any result for normalizing. I guess we call it something else right?

Any instructions or links to the how to would be very much appreciated!
Many thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to normalize audio (voice) in FCPX 16 Mar 2021 08:52 #113435

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 687
Well, you're hitting on FCP's one major weak point, audio. No pro level mixer, no normalize.

How to normalize audio (voice) in FCPX 16 Mar 2021 21:39 #113443

For interviews I do a couple things that work for me. I do standard noise reduction (50) and then add compression. In the compression settings I set limiter to "on" and -1dB and then bring up the ratio to around 3.7. While this isn't exactly the same as just normalizing, it does much the same thing and helps the dialogue stand out from the music. Best of luck.

How to normalize audio (voice) in FCPX 17 Mar 2021 11:51 #113448

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 687
I'm a big fan of "ERA Voice Leveler" from Accusonus, rather that mess around with other more raw filters.

• Page: