fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 17 Nov 2017 19:28 #91778

Hi guys

I come from a music background and I'm used to very easily drag out clips so they will loop over my entire project in Logic...

I can't find a way to do this in Final Cut Pro with video clips, am I missing something?

I use 10sec texture filter overlays over most of my projects, often several layers of them, and it would be handy to have these videos loop over everything else that I have going on underneath. I know I can copy and paste them 40 times but it's not very elegant, and if I then make adjustments on the clips underneath, it all gets jumbled up and I have to start over again with the overlays

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 18 Nov 2017 06:50 #91783

Welcome, Diana/Anastasia to fcp.co :)

…… I use 10sec texture filter overlays over most of my projects, often several layers of them, … know I can copy and paste them 40 times but it's not very elegant, …

No, sorry to say, 'looping' is in Video a playback feature, no editing-thingie ;)

The most elegant way would be to transform your overlays into a real 'effect' by using Motion5:
basically, you would add your overlays and filter settings there, perhaps publish a few parameters - and, applied into an FCPX project, such an effect would loop endlessly to your needs.

rethinking my reply …
I could tinker you 'quick'n dirty' such an effect, it would contain a 'box'/well, you drop your texture into, and then it gets loop.... if you like (?)

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 18 Nov 2017 12:36 #91786

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 652
"...and if I then make adjustments on the clips underneath, it all gets jumbled up and I have to start over again with the overlays"

Put the first two in a connected storyline. Then Option-drag will duplicate. Select more than one to duplicate to make it faster. Then put them all into a Compound Clip. Not perfect, but a huge help.

Or create a template as Karsten says, set the end of the video clips to loop.

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 18 Nov 2017 14:35 #91788

… as mentioned, quick'n dirty:
dl and unzip attached files, drag resulting folder into ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Effects.

In FCPX you should see in the Effects Tab tab a new one: ks_overlay
Drag it onto your clip OR onto an Adjustment Layer (if you want the effect over the whole project)

In the Inspector, the plugin offers a well, click on that and…

… you're allowed to select an 'Overlay Clip' from your browser. The preview shows instantly how it affects the clip.

I published a few b parameters, e.g. to adjust the size of the overlay…
And, for sure, you can select opacity and comp-mode of the overlay:

Overlaid clips get looped every 10secs… to mention that. ;)

Feel free to modify (in Motion) to your needs…
Attachments:

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 18 Nov 2017 16:37 #91789

Thank you so much, using Effects sounds like what I need to do. I’m not familiar with Motion (I don’t think i have that plugin) so I’m gonna get my hands on it and go from there. I tried to do something similar before dragging my overlays into the Motion Templates folder but nothing happened, so I will follow your instructions and give this a proper try

Thanks

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 11 Oct 2021 19:29 #116676

This is awesome!... THANK YOU so much for this resource... I can use it for many things!

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 11 Oct 2021 22:37 #116678

• PaulG
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Or you could go into After Effects where looping footage is trivially easy.

How to make a video overlay loop over entire storyline? 11 Oct 2021 23:40 #116680

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 652
Motion does it super easy and very fast.

• Page: