fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Subtitles for DCP 03 Sep 2017 17:43 #90290

I'm using Subtitle Edit Pro to create subtitles for the movie I edited on Final Cut Pro X. When I export them to .srt and test them on VLC Player, I lose the color font (yellow) as well as the italics and I want to preserve them for the DCP. Do you know how I can accomplish this? Which subtitle format should I use? Which software? Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by raulfballester.

Subtitles for DCP 04 Sep 2017 02:47 #90291

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 651
We always use Rev.com and Compressor have never had any issues. Just saying....

Subtitles for DCP 04 Sep 2017 08:46 #90297

• joenca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
There are a couple routes you can go.
1. For full control of subtitle appearance you can burn in the subtitles before converting to DCP. I use Annotation Edit for this. It will convert your SRT to PNGs + FCPXML, or a .mov containing the subtitles, which can then be imported int FCPX.
The free way to do burn-in is to use FFmpeg. You'll have to convert the SRT to ASS first (which FFmpeg can do) and edit the ASS to get the font and color (and any other setting) that you want. If you haven't used FFmpeg before it might be a bit daunting. It is a command line app, best installed using Homebrew . However, for just a bit of money you can get iFFmpeg , a GUI version of FFmpeg. They have have a tutorial video on how to burn in subtitles. I haven't really used iFFmpeg myself (I prefer the command line version), but it seems quite solid.

2. The technically more elegant way to do this is to convert the SRT to an XML that is embedded in the DCP when it is created. Annotation Edit can do this conversion as well, or you could try out this online tool . You can specify the font and color in the XML, and you'll have to supply the font file. How are you doing the DCP creation, BTW? Are you doing it yourself or having someone do it for you?

Finally, are yellow subtitles the norm for cinema in your territory? In general, using something out of the ordinary makes subtitles stand out in a way that they usually shouldn't.

Subtitles for DCP 04 Sep 2017 11:42 #90302

Joen is right.
But I wouldn't go the FFmpeg way, nor burn in or create image sequences.

But going the DCP XML route is the right way.

If you really need (different) colors first have a look whether your Subtitle Edit Pro supports color tags in SRT.
Open the SRT in a text editor and search for "<font" - if there's nothing found, there is no color support with the app or you've missed an output option.
In case there is VLC has a problem.

If you create the DCP by yourself and use dcp-o-matic a SRT will be fine. Otherwise use michaelcinquin.com (as suggested) to convert.
Or use Annotation Edit or my X-Titles to set uo the subtitles in FCP and export as DCP XML.

Subtitles for DCP via X-Titles 04 Aug 2021 14:35 #115643

Hello, Andreas!
I am a customer of yours, I purchased XTE/XTI from Spherico a year or so ago.
Now I have a challenge which your post get me hope that I might be able to accomplish:
I need to make subtitle XMLs for DCP.

The subtitles are already in FCPX as titles (thanks to your XTI/XTE software) and I also have them in .SRT.
I attempted to create subtitles XML for DCP using Michael Cinquin's site, and all went fine apparently but the post house which is building the DCP is saying they are not working: both DCP software packages they use are coming up with error messages saying there are empty line(s)/ or/ ilegal characters.
Is there a way to create subtitle XML for DCP (SMPTE) using XTI or XTE? Or another tool of yours?

Many thanks!

Subtitles for DCP via X-Titles 04 Aug 2021 15:20 #115646

Alan,

You have good luck today – first time here after a while.
It's pretty simple to get a DCP for you. Just use XTE and export DCP ;-)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Andreas Kiel.

Subtitles for DCP 05 Aug 2021 00:19 #115653

Hello, Andreas! Fantastic to hear, thanks for the assistance. Tell me, can it also be SMPTE or only Interop? The director chose SMPTE...!
Many thanks and have a great rest of the week :D

Subtitles for DCP 05 Aug 2021 15:22 #115659

Hello, Andreas-
I have found the option for exporting SMPTE XML for DCP within your software XTE, thank you!
But I am having an issue, I believe: Once I choose the FCPX XML file (with the caption tracks), I choose which caption track I want and press OK. Then it hangs whicle "converting Titles"(see attached image)...
When I tried the "Fast COnvert"option, it flashes through the Converting Titles screen and nothing seems to happen after that. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Many thanks!
Attachments:

Subtitles for DCP 05 Aug 2021 17:52 #115664

Please send me the XML.
There no way to figure out from the distance.

• Page: