fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 20 Sep 2015 07:59 #68719

• eproano
  • eproano's Avatar Topic Author
  • super producer
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible in Final Cut Pro x to replicate the curvature of an anamorphic lens? There is an after effects plugin called Vashimorphic40 (vashivisuals.com/vashimorphic40-free-ana...hic-effects-project/) that does it and I LOVE the look it gives, but I dont think I'm able to replicate it with the distort function in FCPX. Anyone have any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 16:18 #68760

The website explains how the effect was made using different filters, something similar can be done in FCPX (and saved as an effect preset) or in Motion 5 (and published as a final cut effect) by using the fisheye filter with the amount slider set very low (<5) you can use striped still like they did to find the right amount, the vignette filter (which both blurs and darkens the corners) and then the widescreen filter applied last.

Keep in mind this can only be used on a very wide shot (they say between 28mm - 35mm full frame equivalent)
some cheap camcorders don't even go that wide and fixed lens mobile phones may also not be wide enough.
To completely sell the effect make sure you shoot with a low frame-rate (30 or less) a slow shutter speed (1/60)
and make sure to give your footage a film style grade.

Hope this helps
-Mark

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 16:36 #68765

• eproano
  • super producer
Hi Mark,

The fisheye plugin gets the curvature to similar point, but the problem is that it has a bulge in the center that the anamorphic curvature does not have. Do you know any way to fix that?

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 16:51 #68767

I think that has to do with the way the fisheye effect handles the the distortion, I couldn't find anything in FCPX or Motion
that I could get to match AE's bezier distortion, maybe there's a 3rd party plugin somewhere?

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 17:09 #68768

maybe I completely miss the point, but:

• apply fisheye, as Mark precisely told us
  • apply Buldge filter, scale slightly bigger 1.09
  • finally apply the cinematic filter forblack bars..

end of frame distorted, middle of frame 'plain' (and what's so special about it??)

done in a few minute so I HAVE to miss something.... :blink:
could be 'published' as an Effect ...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 17:21 #68770

• eproano
  • super producer
I don't have motion so I don't have access to the bulge filter...Could you share the published effect? That would be amazing.

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 18:07 #68774

I don't have motion so I don't have access to the bulge filter...Could you share the published effect? That would be amazing.

for sure, love to be called "The Amzing Shluter" ... wait a minute ...no, that's silly for a man of my age.

gimme half an hour, brave MacMini actually renders a 90min fullHD project, burns 2h Hamlet School play (omg factor10!!), exports some 5Mp photos ... ahh, now i learn the sound of the fan ... ;)

in the meantime: What parameters do you need (I have really NO idea!) to play with? Amount of distortion, and, best would be, som eautomatic 'de-distortion in the middle', correct?

Should the bars be part of the effect?

... anything for dessert? 80ies cross-processing look, pushing contrasts and contrasts.....?
(If this works out, you owe me a beer!!) crazzzzy :woohoo:

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 18:33 #68776

• eproano
  • super producer
Hi the amazing schluter!

I believe whatever gets closest to this: vashivisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/flatprimocurve.jpg with as little steps as possible would be best I believe, so automatic de distortion in the middle would be great!. If possible being able to adjust the curve with a slider would be cool too, but not super necessary.

I don't think the black bars need to be a part of it because there's already many options for that.

If you are ever in Los Angeles I will definitely buy you a beer!

Last edit: by eproano.

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 20:09 #68779

arghgh, you can not copy rigs (from my 'test# to final version).... please hold the line .... have to copy a dozen of values by hand ...

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 20:39 #68782

testing testing .... wot the heck is the English word for Versatz???
(guess, you prefer an English interface) ....

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 21:07 #68784

check the depository

www.fcp.co/forum/film-looks-effects/2415...rphic-speciale#68783

good night (late here) .......... B)

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 21:31 #68785

• eproano
  • super producer
Thank you very much for your hard work Karsten!

The curves aren't working properly for me in FCP - I suspect it is because I do not have Motion and therefore don't have the bulge effect.... :(

Here's how it looks for me

Any ideas?

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 21 Sep 2015 21:36 #68787

Nice. The other defining look of an anamorphic film were those damned horizontal blue streaked flares that you saw in just about every movie by Spielberg or Cameron in the 80's.

Fortunately there are quite a few plug ins that offer anamorphic flares (Red Giant, Coremelt, mvfx, pixelfilms, fcpeffects, fxfactory etc all make them).

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 22 Sep 2015 03:48 #68801

Thank you very much for your hard work Karsten!..

Good Morning to my timezone ...

naw, plain fun, never made a plug-in 'on order' :LOL:
look into the other thread where I published a NEW, different version, now WITHOUT rigged parameters, all free for your manual adjustments.

And, no, it doesn't matter you own Motion or not = the 'effects' are all built in into FCP, Motion is just a sort of 'highly developed graphical front end' for these effects.

HOpe, version beta2 works out better for you, although, your graphics illustratesme better your goal is; and I think, both, Fisheye and Buldge are based upon 'curves' - even with very fine adjustments yoyu'll never get a straight line.

give it a try anyhow ... <coffee please> ... :lol:

How to replicate the curvature of an Anamorphic lens 22 Sep 2015 04:54 #68803

• eproano
  • super producer
ah i see! I'll give it a shot

• Page: