fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BUG - RELINK AVCHD FOLDERS - OPTIMISED MEDIA - BACK UP LIBRARY 20 Feb 2015 15:05 #60098

Hi guys,

I hope you are doing ok. I need some help again.

There is a lot of question below but please know I had those questions in mind since a long time and didn't found solutions on forums. There is discussions about it but not detailed enough for these kind of issues.

Thanks a lot for your help.

1. BUG FCPX and ISSUES with relinking AVCHD folder

Few days ago, I wanted to move all the clips from event 1 to event 2.
I moved all of them at once (over 500 clips) and I think FCP X didn't like it because it stopped working and I had to "Force quit" it.

When I opened it again, all the clips where still in the first event but all red with "missing file" written on it. Impossible to relink because it was from an AVCHD folder. So I looked inside the library to understand what happened and I noticed that all the clips had been copied in "original clip" folder in "event 2" and the bug might have not made the link between event 1 and 2.
Is there an explanation for that or is it simply a bug ?

Now, my big issue is to understand how can I relink files when they are from AVCHD folders ?
In general, I copy the AVCHD folder on my hard drive and then import from this folder with FCP so If I import lot of clips in one events from different AVCHD folders, they will all be called "clip# 1, 2, 3 ..." so i will have multiple clip with the same name ... So I found that FCP will have lot of issues to relink clips from AVCHD folders for that reason and its very very annoying.
Is there something I did wrong or something I can do to solve that problem ?

I'm working on such a big project, If my hard drive failed and I have to relink all my clips tomorrow I will have a huge issue. The bug I had has already been a big pain. I had no other choice than to copy the all event from the same library I saved on an other hard drive.

More generally, how to you relink files from AVCHD folders ?
Is it possible to give unique name inside the AVCHD folder ?

2. OPTIMISED MEDIA & RELINKING

So far, only 70% of my media where optimised because I had not enough space on my hard drive but its now running a bit slow and I have free space so I want to optimised all the media. I know how to do that but my concern is about relinking again... Because If I create optimised media they will be called clip #1, 2, 3... so they won't have unique name and I will have many clip with the same name in each event and it will be an issue if I have to relink one day...
How can I do that ?
Plus, the hard drive I use to back up all my media isn't big enough to carry all the optimized media so what will happen if I have only the AVCHD folder on my back up drive and my main drive fail ?

Also, I want the optimized media copied out of the library so the library isn't to heavy. I know how to do that but I wonder, can I delete the original media inside the library once the optimised media is created ? (I would save 450Gb)

3. RELINK FROM BACK UP

I saw that the back up library is much lighter than the normal one so I wonder what happen if I lose the library on my hard drive and have only the back up and the media on my hard drive ? Is it gonna reconnect OK from AVCHD folder ?
I tried opening a backup library once with an other Hard drive containing all the clips and everything is off line so I end up having the same problem reconnecting the AVCHD files again.

I've read everywhere that FCP X was very good for media management and relinking files but I actually find it very awful when it's about AVCHD folder. Is there something I do wrong or is it really bad ?

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers.

Arthur.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

BUG - RELINK AVCHD FOLDERS - OPTIMISED MEDIA - BACK UP LIBRARY 20 Feb 2015 19:57 #60130

Hi Arthur,

1. When you want to move a large number of clips from one Event to another one it is best to do this in small groups. This will prevent your system from choking up if it is not powerful enough to manage all the clips at once. This is not a bug in FCP X, it's related to how much your computer can handle.

2. You can prevent any possible issues with moving large numbers of clips from one Event to another by OPTION-draggin the clips instead of just dragging them. This will copy the clips instead of moving them. Copying clips form one Event to another Event in the same Library will not require additional drive space. The advantage: if anything should go wrong in the process then at least the clips in the original Event will remain intact. When the clips have been copied successfully to the destination Event you can delete them from the original Event.

3. If you have media files showing as missing and these clips have been imported from a camera card all you need to do is insert the card in a card reader or connect the camera to your system, select the missing clips in the Clip Browser and choose File > Import > Re-import from Camera/Archive.

4. If you have media files showing as missing and these clips have been imported from a copy of the card that does not contain the original folder structure anymore, you have gotten yourself into big trouble. You will need to relink the clips one by one or you will need to completely re-import your clips.

5. All this can be avoided if you import clips from a camera card using the Create Archive command. Read here why this is important: provideocoalition.com/msp/video/why-use-...s-in-final-cut-pro-x

6. Optimized media are just ProRes 422 versions of your original media that can be deleted and recreated whenever you wish. You cannot relink optimized media, you always relink original media. You never should delete original media when you have created optimized media. This is a recipe for disaster in case you should accidentally delete a clip from the Clip Browser because you will not be able to re-import to relink the clip.

In short: media management in FCP X is easy and very solid if you handle your projects correctly:

- You can create Camera Archives when you import from cards. This will make future re-importing and relinking easier.
- You can keep all media outside of your library to keep it lean and clean.
- If you need to move large chunks of media between Events and you are not sure your system can cope with this, copy the media instead and delete the originals when the copying has been successful.
- A big project requires big drives, always make sure you have sufficient space available.
- Never touch the contents of a Library. All media management should be done right inside FCP X, it has the perfect tools for this.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

BUG - RELINK AVCHD FOLDERS - OPTIMISED MEDIA - BACK UP LIBRARY 21 Feb 2015 13:49 #60170

Hi Ronny, thank you so much for this response, I really appreciate.

I've put below some comments and new questions to what to said...

"3. If you have media files showing as missing and these clips have been imported from a camera card all you need to do is insert the card in a card reader or connect the camera to your system, select the missing clips in the Clip Browser and choose File > Import > Re-import from Camera/Archive."

4. If you have media files showing as missing and these clips have been imported from a copy of the card that does not contain the original folder structure anymore, you have gotten yourself into big trouble. You will need to relink the clips one by one or you will need to completely re-import your clips.

Well, I am working on a documentary that I have filmed over a year and a half so it has been a long time since the video have been deleted from the SD card. However, I didn't import directly from the SD card. I always first copied the AVCHD folder on my hard drive and then import to FCP X without creating optimised media and only coping "original media" into the library. So all the original structure folder is still here but it FCP won't recognize the AVCHD folder to relink...

5. All this can be avoided if you import clips from a camera card using the Create Archive command. Read here why this is important: provideocoalition.com/msp/video/why-use-...s-in-final-cut-pro-x

I guess I will try that next time...

6. Optimized media are just ProRes 422 versions of your original media that can be deleted and recreated whenever you wish. You cannot relink optimized media, you always relink original media. You never should delete original media when you have created optimized media. This is a recipe for disaster in case you should accidentally delete a clip from the Clip Browser because you will not be able to re-import to relink the clip.

Ok, so does this means I will have all my videos in the AVCHDs folders + in the library as "original media" + my optimised media ? Sounds like a waste of space. I understand I need to keep the AVCHD folders but FCP x should be able to delete the "original media" it created on the first import once we create optimised media don't you think ?

- You can keep all media outside of your library to keep it lean and clean.

Yes, I should have done that and I'm thinking of doing it with the optimised media. HOWEVER, the optimised media FCP will create will be called clip #1, 2, 3... and the issue is that I have multiple media with the same name in every event so I will end up with a big list of media with the same names and if I have a problem, FCP won't be able to relink...

Before my new Macbook Pro, I would just take the MTS files from the AVCHD folder, give everything a unique name and then use clipwrap to convert them in Prores and then import all the files in FCP. This was the best, I never had any trouble relinking files. However, I recently heard it wasn't good doing this plus I saw that when I did that all my long videos were cut in pieces so I started importing directly from the AVCHD folder...

If you find the time to reply again to my comment ROnny that would be great.

A big thank you anyways.

Cheers.

Arthur.

• Page: