fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 13:23 #39839

Is there a 'best practice' way to add sound effects to the Music and Sound browser?

I have the Adobe Audtion sound effects library and want it to appear as a folder in the Music and Sound browser. I read somewhere about creating an alias (or copying) and putting it in the Library>Audio>Apple Loops>Apple>Final Cut Sound Effects folder but I don't want it to appear as a subfolder of the FCSE folder. I'd prefer to be at route level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 13:30 #39840

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
All you have to do is drag the folder to the sound browser.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 13:37 #39841

Hi Seanus,

I tried that but for some reason it creates a folder called "Folders" and then my new sound effect folder is a subfolder of that.

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 14:12 #39844

Hi Damian,

"Folders" is created only once, when you first drag an external folder onto the FCPX sound browser like Sean said. From then on any other sound folder you add to the sound library will also be located under "Folders". If you have different categories stored inside a folder they will shown as sub-folders.

A different way for adding external audio files to the sound browser is by using iTunes. If you import your Adobe library into iTunes (iTunes can work with externally located files) you can create an iTunes playlists for different types of sound files (e.g. People, Weapons, Traffic...) and these categories will show up in your FCPX sound browser under iTunes.

Yet another way: some people create a separate FCPX Library for audio and they import entire audio collections inside the Library. The advantage of this is that you can sub-divide different sound collections into separate Events and Keyword Collections and that you can scrub through your audio clips (which you cannot do yet in the sound browser).

Everyone has a preferred workflow, it's entirely up to you what you use.

- Ronny

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 14:16 #39845

That is 'sound' advice Ronny. :-)

Thanks so much.

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 14:18 #39846

LOL!!

Happy editing,

- Ronny

Adding Sound Effects to the FCP X 26 Jan 2014 17:27 #39861

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 277
And yet another way to have your audio files organized within FCPX's sound library is to put your folders in the following path: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops For Soundtrack Pro/ (your folder here).

Create a folder name of your choice within "Apple Loops For Soundtrack Pro" folder. Alternatively you can follow the same path but choose Final Cut Pro Sound Effects and place custom folders in there to organize your sound effects.

Your folder names and all contents appear as you organize them within the sound browser and are always available.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

• Page: