fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Explore Austria 29 May 2016 20:00 #77242

Explore Austria is a video about our 9 days car trip through the whole Austria from the “City of music” Vienna to the “City of the Alps" Innsbruck. We really enjoyed this beautiful country where ancient cities are getting along with it’s spellbinding nature, where snow tops of Alps can be seen almost from every point of our way, where standing on top of the mountain you can hardly say how many lakes you are seeing, where friendly people, birds singing and fresh air create it’s own unforgettable atmosphere.

Fully made with FCPX. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

vimeo.com/168446268

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by valgussev.

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 08:03 #77243

… Comments and suggestions are welcome.…

Nice look over the fence (from my location) :)

.. just a personal thing: I'm allergic to crooked pics, nor its animated version, rolling cameras! (one of my first plugins is a fix for that)

There are several shots, most shots in Vienna, all those 'walking' sequences.. tilt, pan, x/y/z = no prop, but z-axis rolling? Makes it look cheap. For me! :S

In comparison, Hong Kong Strong , lots of dolly-forward too, but no rolling...

note2myself:
'We' are way too fascinated by 'exotic places', should do more local, catching the beauty around the corner ...

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 08:31 #77244

Hi Karsten, thank you for your reply!

one of my first plugins is a fix for that
thank you, I will take a look on that :)

In comparison, Hong Kong Strong , lots of dolly-forward too, but no rolling...
Could you please make it clear what do you mean by the "rolling" in comparison with the "dolly-forward"?
If you are talking about effects made at 00:13 these are kind of a dolly zoom strategy (but using software zoom, he talked about it here ). In my case the most of z-axis moves were made with my flycam nano without any zoom effects.

Last edit: by valgussev.

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 08:54 #77246

… Could you please make it clear what do you mean by the "rolling" in comparison with the "dolly-forward"?…

a camera allows 6 movements:
Dolly moves:
x/y/z, for instance, you walk forward = z-axis move
and
you can rotate along all the axis
x-axis = tilt
y-axis = pan
z-axis = roll

(and combination of all these, most jib 'pans' include a y-move=raising the jibs head and a tilt=rotating cam for example)

That walk (z-move/Dolly forward) thru the arch, 00:40, the walk on the jetty, 00:50, walk in the forrest 00:55 - camera movement is Dolly AND roll ... in stills you call it 'crooked'. You can do that intentionally, sure, famous 'Dutch' perspective....

Most Steadycam shots, allthough running and paning and tilting and jumping try to avoid roll.
Roll is often in use to illiustrate speed, in a POVcam, e.g. StarWars speedbike race

In a calm shot, roll looks - for me (!) - unintentionally crooked...

......... just a tiny minor thing, I don't want to make a fuzz of it, sorry!!!

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 09:21 #77247

That walk (z-move/Dolly forward) thru the arch, 00:40, the walk on the jetty, 00:50, walk in the forrest 00:55 - camera movement is Dolly AND roll ... in stills you call it 'crooked'. You can do that intentionally, sure, famous 'Dutch' perspective....
Ah, I've finally got you! It took me several minutes to understand how is that possible to rotate in z-axis :) Yeah, I have some problems with my steadicam handling in that axis, I will try to avoid it in future and also in this video with software.

......... just a tiny minor thing, I don't want to make a fuzz of it, sorry!!!
no no no, everything straight! B) I’m interesting in the critics it helps me go up, thank you once again.

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 09:48 #77250

all right, all straight :silly:

you can try to use FCPX built-in Stabilizer, and use 'rotate' only to be fixed

yep, that axis-thing IS confusing, on any occasion I stare at my hand "that is x, so, that is tilt, and that is z, so that is ..." LOL

once had a nice tiny sticker at my screen, printed with an airplane, and all axis, and all manoevers .. hmm, flewn away...

Explore Austria 30 May 2016 10:36 #77251

you can try to use FCPX built-in Stabilizer, and use 'rotate' only to be fixed
yeah, I will try it, thank you

once had a nice tiny sticker at my screen, printed with an airplane, and all axis, and all manoevers .. hmm, flewn away...
That is a good thing to remember :)

Explore Austria 31 May 2016 17:49 #77292

Karsten, before you pointed to the rolling problem I have not actually realised it even exist, but when I try to fix it I make it out how awful it was. Those leaned horizons... Unfortunately, when you stabilise your image in post you are loosing the quality.. It is always a challenge to choose between unstable image and image quality. So, I need to train more with my steadicam.

I've actually updated the video with some corrections on sound and z-axis rolling, so you may check whether it become better or not :)

Explore Austria 31 May 2016 18:24 #77293

Karsten, before you pointed to the rolling problem I have not actually realised it even exist, but when I try to fix it I make it out how awful it was. Those leaned horizons... ....

glad you hate me now! ;) No, kiddin'!!
plus, you will soon notice in many/most/all!! other videos 'roll' ...
just watch, how people hold their cameras, not to speak of phones, and very not to speak of vertical video syndrome ...

It's very tricky to balance a mechanical, 'pendulum' stabilizer, check YT for advice, those 1-2-3-rule etc etc. .. people tend to not adding enough weights to the whole thing, it's based on inertia = masses.... Those perfectly done run'n shoots are mostly done with motorized gimbals - diff price league, but superb stabilization, esp avoiding roll ....

post-stabilization has to zoom = quality loss; here comes 4k to the rescue, in a 1080p project, there's enough 'beef' to zoom....

... or make it to art:
vimeo.com/138044491

Explore Austria 31 May 2016 20:04 #77300

It's very tricky to balance a mechanical, 'pendulum' stabilizer, check YT for advice, those 1-2-3-rule etc etc. .. people tend to not adding enough weights to the whole thing, it's based on inertia = masses....

Yeah, thank you for the advise once again

• Page: