fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

looks like 3D-ish … just light 23 Sep 2015 19:01 #68868

// not finished yet, and this part of the project's done with Pixelmator and Motion 5, forgive me Peter ;) , just a proud hobbyist //

Hi,
yeah me again, and for sure it's about soccer. New season started last week (son's team won = good season), so I'm a bit late for a new screen design. Boys are now B2, means <17y, that has to be shown in the opener (I'm my own client) ... Due to lack of time and skills, Plan A) create something in 3D with mObjects was axed.

Looking around the Net, search term 'stadium' spit out this photo ... graphic.

uhm, well, no stadium at all, and our tiny club would be happy to own such flood lights ... But it inspired me for some effect, just a part in the opener: switch-on the lights, I mean ON ... searching for the approbiate soundFX i learned the word Kill Switch, ga-dooong!

Pic is allready in Pixelmator, lasso-polygon tool, just connect the corners = shadow of the flood lights! ... (no, don't look to much for detail, I know its crooked and awry ...)

sooo, into Motion: two flat pictures, with wonderful light and 'beams'.
Added a 3D "B2", switched-off any lights and tried to reenact the light situation of the original photo... uh, ooooh.

To make a long story short: two 'beamers' simulating the flood lights; a 'directed light' to illuminate the pic - which 'infectd my letter, a bit fiddly. A tiny extra 'eye'-light for the big B

Being no pro photographer, I needed to switch both light settings several times on/off, highlights, shadows, alll switches well hidden in my chaotic DIY structure - clickclick, a Rig switches with one click 5 light(groups) .... rigs are handsome while constructing, not just for plugins interfaces.

Perhaps you'll ask: why two versions, with and without light? lights-on in timeline, simple, hä!?
No, in the end its edited to music, so I don't know yet, when the lights kaboom! go on, or off.
well, thats easyin FCPX: put both versions over each other, set an in-point ... lights on! With 'beams'. And 3d .... LOL, what a hobby to spend time .......

... next: a stadium! A whole afternoon for 'effect' but the MAIN element is missing .... I'm a kid in a candy store <yawn> tommorrow is another day ..

When the whole thing is done, I show you here in a Part II of this story ... ;)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

looks like 3D-ish … just light 27 Sep 2015 03:36 #68977

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Looks great!

looks like 3D-ish … just light 27 Sep 2015 05:39 #68983

Looks great!

thanks, Ben, appreciate your compliments very much.

As mentioned above, still work-in-progress, but while doing so, I found there's lot of marvel to discover, by transferring 2D into a (Motion) 3D-like lights situation. Here's my latest example:

(still no stadium, LOL), found that #1 nice pic, allthough it a bit too bright for my taste&needs, these two tiny floodlights would never produce a 100% even lit field.

Next step:
splitting the pic into two parts, using Pixelmator: a background part #2a which will be used as an 2D element in Motion (filled the lower part with some grey, anticipating my imprecision in Motion ;) ), and seperating the playfield #2b, which will get a 3Dplane in Motion...

Importing both pics into Motion, 'lamps' as 2D background, 'field' tilted along the x-axis and 'distorted' to bring back the original perspective. (this part gives some brain hurt: it looks like 90° flat, but it is 0° upright = a photo! Rotating it to make the plane flat gives some odd looking field - you manually have to 'strech' it back ... in a second you see why that crazyness)

Now I'm in control of the light situation.

#3, bg brightness close to zero (asks for some paintjob to let original lights vanish, field somewhere 20-40% opacity ... that's an easy one, but .....

Here, my masterpian accomplished (ahhh, we Germans and our masterplans ... XD ) , #4:
added two headlights in Motion, and due to orientation in space, it creates real-life looking beams on the green. Nice, hm?

Finally, it allows me to add some shallow DoF to scenery when the team-pix flies in (better seen in final fullHD)....

Project should be fnished yesterday, but my boss = son, found too many glitches and plain failures = me not familiar with the names of some new players, ... lots of immigrants with strrrrange names LOL

If you know good sources for topic "stills to space/faking 3D with photos" etc - let me know! Found tons of theory, but lil' for a Daddy-does-movies guy like me! No math please, just recipies ...

.... to be continued ....
Attachments:

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

looks like 3D-ish … just light 27 Sep 2015 17:57 #68996

Sometimes Google really impreses me. What have I written this morning?

…If you know good sources for topic "stills to space/faking 3D with photos" etc - let me know! …

And what do I find just a few hours later in my in-box:

"Look for the latest YT tutorials we recommend to you...blablabla...."
link to Motion Mastermind Simon Ubsdell latest :

<shiver>

and how does Simon know I'm interested in that??
<even more shiver>
:)
Looks like a cozy evening on my couch, with my telly and my AppleTV.... wooh, there's a part I .... should take notes, Mr Ubsdell advice is superb but sometimes way too high info/sec ratio .....

looks like 3D-ish … just light 28 Sep 2015 10:47 #69012

That mentioned tut from Mr Ubsdell, plus a personal comment from Simon inspiried me, to add some 'atmosphere' to my playground...
So, I've stolen from Simons project a bit fog:

plus, adding two triangleish beziers, filled with a white gradient, and tweaking the blend modes (soft light - what else with fog?), I fake volumetrics within a minute. - yeah, not a 100%, but within the limitations of my time-budget :P

it's getting better and better....
And I spend hours and hours ... :silly:
Attachments:

looks like 3D-ish … just light 28 Sep 2015 11:38 #69017

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I'd have gone with a tiny touch of ambient mDust rather than fog. But the fog needs to roll naturally along the ground, if you use it. Which gives me an idea for a new DriveX project...

looks like 3D-ish … just light 28 Sep 2015 13:54 #69021

I'd have gone with a tiny touch of ambient mDust rather than fog. But the fog needs to roll naturally along the ground, if you use it....

'Fog' allows me to create those beams/finger of god/volumetrics I'm keen of ;)

And, on the long run: the original photo shows a super-clean atmosphere, you would expect at -20° (whatever scale), and then you have no fog nor suspened particles in the air.....

But I have to admit I love 'visible air', a master is Ridley Scott, in most of his movies, there's rain, moist, fog, dust, ... in Last Unicorn (or was that Tony?) I almost got an allergic shock with all those pollen in every scene ,,, <achoo!!> ....

looks like 3D-ish … just light 28 Sep 2015 14:48 #69031

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
You have smoke rising, get it to roll along the ground. What other video/graphics will be on top of this? Too much motion in it will distract from what ever the main focus is that will sit on top. Just a caution. A lot of the time when building these things, we get carried away with how cool they are as a stand alone clip. Then when you put your main subject video/graphic on top, it's not the same, and you have to tone things down a tad. But looking really good as you move forward. Just need rolling fog, not Up In Smoke.

Last edit: by BenB.

looks like 3D-ish … just light 30 Sep 2015 04:19 #69087

You have smoke rising, get it to roll along the ground. What other video/graphics will be on top of this? .....

Thanks, Ben, spending so much time with my lil' hobby project - valueable info (for free, hey)!

The whole set will gracefully bounced out of focus and I paste 1-4 players pic over it .... yep, 'kill your darlings', rule #1.... and best for my imagination would be some sort of <skimming dictionairy> haze (ahh, remember that!), yes, 'visible air', less turbulences, less thick, just materializing lights ....

maybe back to square 1, I'll try the brute-force method: just paint some grainy grey over it, ... although those 'billowing' in the light beams is nice ...

Anyhow: time-budget determines method/result ... first two games=no beams .... lucky me, this is no paid job - impressive, how much time you're wasting, when using trial'n error instead of know-how.

Thanks, again, sensei! ;)

…… to be continued ……

• Page: