fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
Third Party Products for FCP
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RescueTime suddenly stopped logging time! 28 Jul 2018 12:51 #96569

Hey there guys,
I hope that this post finds you all in excellent spirits, and that you are having a great weekend.

Please forgive me in advance for posting this question here if it is not the correct subforum – this seemed the most appropriate place to do so.

I have used RescueTime (rescuetime.com/) to log the time I spend on Final Cut Pro X since late 2012. It has always worked great – until a few weeks ago, when it stopped logging time.

RescueTime's solid black plus symbol is now greyed out with a grey 'x' in the middle of it; moreover, when I log in, I keep receiving error messages such as 'Unable to connect to the Internet' or 'Could not connect to the RescueTime servers. Your Firewall hardware or software is blocking...'

My firewall settings have not changed, and in any event incoming connections from RescueTime have always been given permission to bypass it.

Naturally, I contacted RescueTime's support staff, and they suggested removing and reinstalling the app, which I have done to no avail.

This is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea what to do to get RescueTime working again? Any ideas and/or guidance are sincerely appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AlexMaxim.

RescueTime suddenly stopped logging time! 30 Jul 2018 05:29 #96586

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 261
Have you done any OSX updates recently that might have affected that? You can try creating a new ADMIN user account and then run RescueTime from that account. If it begins to work again then there may be an issue with your system user account. There is a procedure to rebuild your user account if that is the case. I don't use RescueTime so I have no specific knowledge of that app.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

RescueTime suddenly stopped logging time! 01 Aug 2018 13:20 #96622

Have you done any OSX updates recently that might have affected that? You can try creating a new ADMIN user account and then run RescueTime from that account. If it begins to work again then there may be an issue with your system user account. There is a procedure to rebuild your user account if that is the case. I don't use RescueTime so I have no specific knowledge of that app.

A million thanks for your kind reply!

Re: the OSX updates, we have deliberated kept this machine running 10.8.5 as we didn't want to disturb any settings which could lead to problems like this. How ironic :lol:

We tried to run RescueTime from our guest user account, and had no luck there. We then attempted your brilliant suggestion of creating a new admin account and running RescueTime there: still no luck.

RescueTime suddenly stopped logging time! 01 Aug 2018 13:56 #96623

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 261
10.8.5 is a really old OS. Was the maker of RescueTime aware that you were using that old OS when you contacted them and they suggested a reinstall? Maybe their program was updated and requires a later OS. Even if you are still trying to use the version you have, it is possible that got some update in the background that requires a later OS ---just a guess. I wasn't able to find any system requirements on their website so you might ask them what those are.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

RescueTime suddenly stopped logging time! 01 Aug 2018 14:14 #96624

10.8.5 is a really old OS. Was the maker of RescueTime aware that you were using that old OS when you contacted them and they suggested a reinstall? Maybe their program was updated and requires a later OS. Even if you are still trying to use the version you have, it is possible that got some update in the background that requires a later OS ---just a guess. I wasn't able to find any system requirements on their website so you might ask them what those are.

The minimum requirements for running RescueTime are OS X 10.7, so the ancient OS (which we have to keep because we are running DVD Studio Pro on this computer :lol: ) shouldn't be an issue, at least in theory. The developer is aware of our system specifications.

Plus, we tried to install an old version of RescueTime from Time Machine. That didn't work either...

Last edit: by AlexMaxim.
  • Page: