fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
Third Party Products for FCP
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Affinity Photo 09 Dec 2015 21:50 #71311

the latest Affinity Photo 1.4 brings a nice update for better Final Cut Pro X support.

- PSD export now better supports third party apps including Motion and Final Cut Pro X

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 00:37 #71313

Yes but it's not working for me. I'm finding that there is an issue with the .psd that it exports.

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 01:22 #71314

• ButchM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10

Yes but it's not working for me. I'm finding that there is an issue with the .psd that it exports.

That may be the case ... but ... FCP X (and other third party apps) also have trouble with some .psd files created with Photoshop as well.

There seems to be various issues where not all layer data such as opacity, masks, blending modes, layer styles do not transfer properly or at all in some cases. Combine multiple layers using all those variables, exacerbates the situation. No to mention, Adobe is constantly tweaking the .psd format and SDK. It's a continually moving target.

While getting composite image data to be recognized in third party apps is fairly easy and straight forward for developers to implement ... translating all the discreet variables can be problematic, no matter the source of the file due to the fact, third party developers are not allowed to exactly replicate such details using Adobe's proprietary code to achieve those items. ... i.e ... layer drop shadows algorithms, etc. ...

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 05:09 #71318

Those guys behind Pixelmator must have an inside track with Adobe because their .psd files appear to be flawless and work perfectly in FCP X.

Go figure

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 11:22 #71320

…not all layer data such as opacity, masks, blending modes, layer styles do not transfer properly ...

uhm, well... "complaining on a high level" I'd call that.... ;)
I think, in most cases, one needs the layers as tracks. Then, animating those layers, e.g. opacity, blending modes, or drop shadows, can easiely accomplished with FCPX' own tool set.

Before I transfer any psd to FCPX, I usually 'consolidate' them to the few elements I need there. FCPX is no After Effects …

btw:
Affinity Photo actually 10$/€/£ less! 39,99

I love to recommend Pixelmator, but AP seems to offer lots of more 'tricks', high/low frequency layers, light sources, various destortion tools, panorama stitcher (does PM really has none?? ) etc etc ect... very tempting for me ... And I like these filter-layer concept!

AP as a plugin for Motion - that would be a killer.. LOL

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 12:38 #71321

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Pixelmator is for those of us who don't use 90 percent of what Photoshop does, and only costs $29.99 USD.
Affinity Photo is for the more advanced users who need all of the bells and whistles, and costs $49.99 USD.
Both go on sale from time to time. AP is on sale now for $39.99 USD. I originally purchased Pixelmator for a fraction of its normal price way back when. Get either dirt cheap with proper shopping.

Why don't I pay the extra $20 for AP? Because I don't use all that extra stuff, and the interface is more complex, due to the multitude of tools available. Pixelmator has no intention of being 100% Photoshop, AP does. You get what works for you, Pixelmator is my personal choice of the two. Need Illustrator? There's Sketch and others that are very powerful and way easier to learn and use, for a fraction of a 12 month subscription to Illustrator.

That said, with both of these on the market, I don't understand why folks still pay a subscription for Photoshop. AP does the same things, easier, faster, cleaner, for a fraction of the cost. Use Photoshop for six months, you've purchased several copies of either Pixelmator or AP.

Someone I know said, "Because of the roundtrip between all the apps, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc." Well, read the forums, that is full of bugs, too. AND if you run a business with these, you save TONS of money with the alternatives, and get BETTER implemented apps.

My 2 cents.

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 15:36 #71324

• ButchM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Those guys behind Pixelmator must have an inside track with Adobe because their .psd files appear to be flawless and work perfectly in FCP X.

Go figure

Not universally true, though I have experienced few issues with Pixelmator generated .psd files ... there have been a few. I would classify the terms 'flawless' and 'perfectly' in this respect as a very relative and very subjective appraisal. They work well ... but are not universally perfect and entirely dependent upon content and layer data included.

As I indicated earlier .... even Photoshop doesn't offer perfection in this respect when .psd files are utilized in third party solutions.

Last edit: by ButchM.

Affinity Photo 10 Dec 2015 15:48 #71325

• ButchM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

That said, with both of these on the market, I don't understand why folks still pay a subscription for Photoshop. AP does the same things, easier, faster, cleaner, for a fraction of the cost. Use Photoshop for six months, you've purchased several copies of either Pixelmator or AP.

Well ... some of us have used Photoshop for quite some time (I started with Ps v2.0 in 1993) and the CC Photography Package that offers both Ps CC and Lr CC for $9.99 US is a bargain and then some.

I'd much rather be using Aperture and would have never explored the subscription route with Adobe, had Apple not abandoned my favorite RAW image workflow solution ... the situation is not as black and white as we would like ... many factors to consider.

While I am not a fan of the subscription model per se, ... CC is currently the most efficient, cost effective solution for my business. Though I do invest in other options like Pixelmator, Affinity Photo and Acorn (I have also replaced Illustrator with Affinity Design) ... there is nothing out there that is currently on par with Lightroom for a volume RAW image workflow.

Affinity Photo 17 Jan 2016 16:58 #72291

Hello-

I have been a Photoshop user since PS 7. I currently have CS5 extended and will be updating to El Capitan shortly. I may not be able to use CS5 on 10.11 and am quite sure it will never be supported again on Apple OS updates. For many reasons I will not subscribe to CC but intend to move on to Affinity Photo or Pixelmator.

I am not a pro on PS and usually frequent my CS5 tutorials. I am wondering if there is a in depth tutorial CD set available for Affinity Photo made by some certified users of the software?

I am also wondering if it is still just the beta version available or if Affinity Photo has been out with a couple updates to it at this point in time?

Thanks for any info, Robes

Affinity Photo 17 Jan 2016 17:22 #72293

Hello-

I have been a Photoshop user since PS 7. I currently have CS5 extended and will be updating to El Capitan shortly. I may not be able to use CS5 on 10.11 and am quite sure it will never be supported again on Apple OS updates. For many reasons I will not subscribe to CC but intend to move on to Affinity Photo or Pixelmator.

I am not a pro on PS and usually frequent my CS5 tutorials. I am wondering if there is a in depth tutorial CD set available for Affinity Photo made by some certified users of the software?

I am also wondering if it is still just the beta version available or if Affinity Photo has been out with a couple updates to it at this point in time?

Thanks for any info, Robes

Hey Robes, I am not aware of a CD or DVD set for Affinity Photo. But they do have a App for the Apple TV (4) with Tutorials.
Also you can find there tutorials on the affinity.serif.com .
You will find some Tutorials online for free and for sale.

Affinity Photo 24 Jul 2018 15:51 #96466

Please give feedback to Apple on FCPX and Motion for support for files from Pixelmator, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

• Page: