A welcome Apple silicon and form factor update to the MacBook Pros, two sizes and two choices of chips.
The 13 inch MacBook Pros have been a huge success, Tim Cook mentioned how the M1 chip had propelled the Mac to have its best year ever. So when we heard of the upcoming Apple event, we knew that something special was going to happen with new larger MacBook Pros.
It didn't disappoint.
The new MacBook Pros have a new form factor and come in two sizes, 14 inch and 16 inch, although as the screen is larger and the bezel smaller, comparisons to the previous models aren't really valid.
The main story is the two new chips, the M1 Pro and the M1 Max that can power both machines. You can also specify up to 64GB of memory for both machines. As they both use a SOC, that's a lot of memory shared for the cores and GPU. Apple are saying that these are the first two chips designed for the pro market.
'M1 Pro and M1 Max unleash massive gains in performance and transform pro workflows. M1 Pro features a powerful up-to-10-core CPU, up-to-16-core GPU, 200GB/s of memory bandwidth, up to 32GB of fast unified memory, and a ProRes accelerator in the media engine. M1 Max features a 10-core CPU, doubles the GPU with up to a massive 32 cores, 400GB/s of memory bandwidth, up to 64GB of fast unified memory, and two ProRes accelerators in the media engine.'
You will also notice that the Touch Bar has gone and the MagSafe has returned. Add in a Liquid Retina XDR display, three Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports, an HDMI port and a SDXC card slot and you can see that Apple has listened to Pro users.
- Stunning New Design: With an all-new aluminum enclosure, MacBook Pro optimizes internal space for more performance and features. It also comes with a new Magic Keyboard that features a full-height function row and physical function keys that replace the Touch Bar, bringing back the familiar, tactile feel of mechanical keys that pro users love.
- World’s Best Notebook Display: MacBook Pro offers a stunning Liquid Retina XDR display that brings HDR content to life with unbelievable detail and more vivid colors than ever before. And with ProMotion technology — featuring an adaptive refresh rate up to 120Hz — tasks are more fluid and responsive.
- Most Advanced Connectivity Ever in a Mac Notebook: Both models feature three Thunderbolt 4 ports, an SDXC card slot, an HDMI port, MagSafe 3, and an improved headphone jack that supports high-impedance headphones.
- 1080p FaceTime HD Camera: At 1080p, it delivers high-quality video and great performance in low light. Plus, with computational video the camera system users appear sharper with more natural looking skin tones.
- Best Audio Ever in a Mac Notebook: Delivering a next-level audio experience, the new MacBook Pro has industry-leading, studio-quality mics and a high-fidelity six-speaker sound system that supports spatial audio for a sophisticated, three-dimensional listening experience.
Customers can order the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models today, with availability beginning next week. The new 14-inch MacBook Pro model starts at $1,999 (US), and $1,849 for education; the 16-inch MacBook Pro model starts at $2,499 (US), and $2,299 (US) for education.
We hope to have a new MacBook Pro soon and will test it out using the new versions of the Pro video Apps announced today.