fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 28 Jun 2022 10:34 #121096

Forgive the newbie here, but how can I get 'an old version' of FCP installed on this MacBook that would recognise FCP 2 files and timelines? I have an archive of content created with FCP 2 that I want to work with on this laptop... can this be achieved?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 28 Jun 2022 10:51 #121097

Which computer exactly is this? High Sierra won’t run Legacy FCP.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 28 Jun 2022 20:27 #121099

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 53
That's from the turn of this century and likely requires hardware of that era to open it. I have a G3 & G4 just to run this caveman software. Even the original install discs. FCP7 may open it. Give that a try.
Attachments:

Last edit: by VTC.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 14:27 #121124

Thank you for the reply... where do I find details about the laptop model... it is quite an old one? But the FCP 2 I need to work on is even older!

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 14:30 #121125

I think we were running G3 or G4 at the time. I have the original installation discs etc... will the laptop recogniose them if I try to install that old software?

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 14:34 #121126

MacBook (13 inch, Mid 2010)
Processor: 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 14:43 #121127

You need to install an older OS. High Sierra can’t run legacy FCP.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 15:20 #121129

Not familiar with back dating Mac... which OS do you suggest and were do I find it?

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 15:22 #121131

And I have diligently updated software onto this old platform... it finally has said NO MORE!!

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 16:26 #121135

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I advise stop wasting time digging for what works on which OSX on what computer using what version of Final Cut.

Send me the project file or an XML and I'll convert it into something you can edit today. The conversion may not be perfect and you'll have to reconnect the media but even if you have to jigger with some of the effects or parameters of some clips a few hours it'll be far quicker than digging around for old software and old hardware to cobble together.

(Assuming you're simply not looking to take a 20 year old dog for a one mile walk that'll take 2 hours but rather intend on improving it via todays software & technology to make a new puppy that'd cover that one mile ground in ten minutes.)

(Here's the last one I did for some forum chap.)

Attachments:

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 30 Jun 2022 16:34 #121136

Sierra. You might be able to find it on the Apple website somewhere, but it's now so obsolete most places don't list it. Sierra will not run FCP2, but ti will run a more recent version of the legacy software.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 01 Jul 2022 04:23 #121150

From Apple Support Forums: How to download versions of MacOS, support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683. Yosemite is the oldest version you can get.

You will need a formatted drive without an OS on it. Start the installer and select the empty drive as the target drive. This assumes that the computer will run the installer.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 01 Jul 2022 10:40 #121155

Hello Karma 1 - thank you for the suggestion.
The timelines are 20 years old now too, and the thought of reconnecting media is not appealing! I have very little work to do on the projects... mostly updating end credits and contact informations, as well as some titling on the odd promo at the end,
What would you send back to me that the 2010 MacBook I have would be able to work with?
I do not have any version of FCP on it at this time.
Is there no version of FC Express or the like which I could install? It is out of date now too!

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 01 Jul 2022 11:02 #121156

Hello again - and thanks for the support.
I have original FCP 2 installation discs... UN and PW will likely be a problem!
If I roll back to Yosemite or earlier, would it recognise the data?
The laptop only has ONE drive, so it would mean reformatting the device altogether?
Once done, how do I get online to Apple to back date it?

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 01 Jul 2022 16:24 #121159

The only way you can down grade to Yosemite is to put it on a separate hard drive. Your MacBook will not let you put an older OS version on the machine itself.

It does not matter though because FCP 2 will not run on Yosemite, discussions.apple.com/thread/6602935.

FCP 2 hardware requirements are a Macintosh computer with a 300MHz or faster Blue & White G3 or G4 processor and Mac OS 9.1, support.apple.com/kb/SP607?locale=en_US

From this thread it appears that FCP 7 will run on Yosemite, discussions.apple.com/thread/6614086

Am not sure how to upgrade the files from 2 to 7 as I never used it.

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 01 Jul 2022 23:41 #121170

• PaulG
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27

Hello Karma 1 - thank you for the suggestion.
The timelines are 20 years old now too, and the thought of reconnecting media is not appealing! I have very little work to do on the projects... mostly updating end credits and contact informations, as well as some titling on the odd promo at the end,

This comment won't be helpful, but I will make a general observation that when mastering, it's always a good idea to make a "generic" version without titles or credits or supers that can be accessed regardless of the edit platform changes over the years. This was something that we always did for commercials and it saved our bacon on more than one occasion where the client just wanted to make a little tweak to some text and we just had to update that part. Good luck on your quest to get this working. Going back two processors (Intel and then to Motorola) will definitely be a science project!

FCP 2 on High Sierra 10.13 02 Jul 2022 02:27 #121171

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

... it's always a good idea to make a "generic" version without titles or credits or supers that can be accessed regardless of the edit platform changes over the years./quote]

Yes, that but also save one without any music or SFx embed. You'll never be able to strip those annoyances out later on from any VO and that juvenile style needs to die off immediately if not sooner.

Don't think I'll live to see the day when swooshes and stings and hits finally die the agonizing death they rightly deserve. Really now, have you ever watched something wishing it had more audial dogs barking in the background? I'm betting NEVER!

Every YouTuber strains to stuff 10# of audio clutter into their 5# video bag and then puff out their chest proudly like they're the innovating dolt to do it first. Choosing music sounding like shoes in a dryer shows they're an unimaginative follower and not a leader. Watched something today about installing Catalina on unsupported computers. (Four 2009 Mac Pro 4.1 flashed to 5.1 currently running Mojave here) talking in a heavy accent was impossible to follow and the 'tennis shoes tumbling in the dryer' background instrumental made it unbearable so I clicked away to another video not so offensive.
- - - -
Client came in with a 42 minute video that was going for rebroadcast. Wanted the music stripped. Asked who chose the score and replied HE DID twenty years ago but now it grates on him. $600 for ADR session and he was delighted. Convinced him not to pepper it with asinine SFx on spinning titles and panning transitions and he agreed. After broadcast there was nary a complaint and he saved the additional editing time I'd have spent pounding square pegs into round holes.

• Page: