fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Running OS11.2.3 crashing multiple times a day 15 Mar 2021 15:17 #113408

Running a MBP 13" w/ 4 thunderbolt ports, running OS 11.2.3
Only peripheral is an ALLFU hub (USB 3, SD, USB C. thunderbolt). (Crashed while using this and when it's not plugged in)
I'm finding since the last upgrade, my MBP is randomly crashing up to 5 times a day. I've reset the ole PRAM, done First Aid, booted to recovery and run Disk Utility and everything says it's fine and OK.
Running outlook, chrome, FCPX, motion & compressor.
What else could this be? Can anyone suggest something?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Running OS11.2.3 crashing multiple times a day 15 Mar 2021 18:23 #113420

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 207
Hi Full
Have you checked what is causing the "Crash" using Crash Reporter or Console?
Your Mac is making a crash log and it will help to identify the issue, which could be almost anything software or hardware.
These crash logs are sent to Apple by default, but you can access them to see what is causing the "Crash". These logs can be reached via the Console app or via the Finder. I prefer to view in Finder ~user/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports… (One trick is to use QuickView {spacebar} on first crash report then use the arrow keys to look at relevant lines in each report to see if cause is same in each crash)
Important note is you may need to hold down the Option key to see Library folder and hidden files.

On reading crash reports…
www.maketecheasier.com/read-macos-crash-...ts-troubleshoot-mac/
Lots of other articles on reading logs.

Another diagnostic tool is EtreCheck a free app that will generate a human readable report on the state of your computer and some software issues. Can often find out of date apps and plugins.

Chrome has been very problematic on Macs causing freezing. See if it shows up in reports, delete if yes and shutdown and re-boot Mac. The latest version of Chrome may address this, but I don't use Adobe products if I can. This problem is often cumulative to usage so may only cause issues overtime. This is an Adobe issue around tying up video resources and not releasing to other apps/system so can cause problems.

So check your logs, find the crash thread, see what is actually causing the issue. If a plugin or app, update to latest version or contact developer.

Hope this Helps, Greg

Running OS11.2.3 crashing multiple times a day 17 Mar 2021 15:39 #113451

Greg,
Thank you for your suggestions. Quickviewing the crash logs turned up one overwhelming culprit. It isn't Adobe or Chrome - although they are hogs. It is something called NoMAD. nomad.menu
I'm going to live with it, primarily because I can't delete it. But I'm also going to check out EtreCheck, too.

Running OS11.2.3 crashing multiple times a day 18 Mar 2021 16:13 #113470

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 207
If NoMad is causing the crashes, then I strongly advise deleting the app and supporting code.
I have not used NoMad, but it is a Finder / launcher / menu item that could affect your system. It is a subsitute app and is a replacement for default system actions, so not essential.
Why can you not delete it?
If you absolutely need this app, make sure it is up to date and send crash info to developer.

Best of Luck, Greg

• Page: