fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 19:26 #122488

Surprised nobody has seen this… but it seems Blackmagic did it again and Apple has confirmed DaVinci for the iPad!

www.dpreview.com/news/1762376988/did-app...t-sure-looks-like-it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 19:38 #122489

• mp
  • Thank you received: 0
I saw that post also with some saying that this is clear signal FCP will be left as Aperture was years back. I trully hope this will never happen. but damn those updates for Lightroom are nice. I wish there is Aperture replacement from Apple. Now that there is no FCP for the new Ipads and we are left with LumaFusion and IMovie and now Davinci. Damn scary FCP future…

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 20:28 #122490

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Highly visible promotion by Apple on the iPad Pro page.
Attachments:

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 20:40 #122491

• mp
  • Thank you received: 0
Hmm from what it looks like I think they wanted to push the ProRes ftte on iPad and only software capable doing so and available to show it of is indeed Resolve… … FCP would require separate presentation? but this one was the perfect opportunity one would guess..

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 21:01 #122493

Fantastic news

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 18 Oct 2022 21:13 #122494

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 73
My rendition of a similar shoot but in FCP.

While everyone else concentrated on the drummers and dancers I was studying the odd peculiar human interaction with standing and walking on Botts Dots.

Attachments:

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 19 Oct 2022 20:05 #122507

Maybe we will be seeing a shift with Apple and moving away completely from the Pro Apps, well the three that are left.

But again, looking at the sales that’s can’t make to much since, right?

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 20 Oct 2022 00:40 #122508

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Maybe we will be seeing a shift with Apple and moving away completely from the Pro Apps, well the three that are left.

But again, looking at the sales that’s can’t make to much since, right?

The problem is Apple is UNECCESARILY quiet about future development. I can understand quiet though if Apple is allowing FCP to die. On the other hand, quiet is only warranted IMHO if one might lose competitive advantage and I don't believe that's the case.

If they were keeping quiet on some killer features they don't want competitors to know about that would make sense but FCP is not in that position it seems. They're in catchup mode in my humble opinion. It's beginning to look like Resolve supports Apple hardware as good as if not better than Apple.

I really do wish Peter the best but his silence here adds to the angst. Hopefully, someone will reach out to him to find out. Apple's silence really hurts the long-term outlook.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 20 Oct 2022 09:36 #122510

I think if there is not a substantial update to FCP when Ventura is released (and new MBPs M2 pro / max etc - then its probably game over.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 20 Oct 2022 13:07 #122513

The official Blackmagic Design press release:

www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20221020-02

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 00:48 #122528

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BMD from their Facebook page.

So the Cut page is where we'll see growth as the edit page remains desktop only. Fairlight and Fusion not ready for the time being.

I wonder if the Cut page will eventually supplant the Edit page and will it become a bit more FCPish in the process.

Imagine if Apple were this forthright with their direction with FCP. Sigh.

Today we announced DaVinci Resolve coming to iPad, which will initially feature the cut and color pages from DaVinci Resolve.The new DaVinci Resolve for iPad will open and create standard DaVinci Resolve project files which are compatible with the desktop version of DaVinci Resolve 18. You will be able to host projects using Blackmagic Cloud and collaborate with multiple users all over the world. Supported file formats include H.264, H.265, Apple ProRes and Blackmagic RAW, with clips able to be imported from the iPad Pro internal storage and Photos library, externally connected iCloud or USB-C media disks. DaVinci Resolve for iPad is similar to the desktop version of DaVinci Resolve.There are some adaptions to the UI based on screen size, such as not having a menu bar, however the full color and cut pages are provided. DaVinci Resolve projects can be opened, including support for shared collaborative projects via Blackmagic Cloud.This means DaVinci Resolve for iPad is the same professional tool, and the same codebase as used on major Hollywood feature films.DaVinci Resolve for iPad does not include the Fairlight audio page or the Fusion visual effects page because their software code has not yet been redesigned for the iPad. We will continue to work on these pages and will include them in the future. The edit page is not included as it was originally designed for large screens, with a keyboard and mouse. This makes it very difficult to move to the iPad without changing it in a way that would cause problems for professional editors who rely on the edit page for their work. We expect the edit page to remain a desktop only page.However this means the cut page needs more features so it can operate on the iPad when the edit page is not available. Until now we focused on adding new types of features to the cut page, because the edit page was always available. However on the iPad, that's not the case. So we will be working hard to add more editing features to the cut page as soon as possible. These features will include enhanced audio support, key framing, split edits and more. We will release these updates as we add the features.DaVinci Resolve for iPad will be available free of charge in Q4 2022 from the Apple iOS App Store. High end customers who need the features of DaVinci Resolve Studio on the iPad will be able to upgrade via a one off in-app purchase. We expect this update to cost US$95.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 08:09 #122539

As I wrote in a similar post like this, I think we need to try to have an overview about the "panorama" we have today.

Apple is present with a NLE over iPad and is called iMovie.
This means that Apple created many time ago an app to make possible the editing video over a tablet.
I think you agree with me that who wants to make a video over an iPad ... doesn't want to create an Hollywood movie. It's just a little movie like holidays movie, birthdays party and so on.

The professional area for apple is over a computer: a Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro, a Mac Studio... and so on. There you can have the right tool to create professional videos: Final Cut Pro.

Now, Resolve will be released in a tablet version. This doesn't mean in my opinion that you will have the same professional tool that you have over a computer. It is a new tool. Very smilar, smart, powerful... but what kind of editing you want to do over a tablet?
So the interface of Resolve will be over an iPad. Many tools and a good color correction part will be available... but is over a tablet.... a powerful tablet, but always a tablet! You can create the same videos that Apple permit to do with iMovie. Ok with a better tool, but not for professional use on the real meaning of this.

That's it's all marketing on my point of view. Marketing for Resolve, marketing for Apple and its iPads... and so on.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 08:41 #122542

I agree with your opinion, except as long Apple promotes the iPad as Laptop replacement plus market it as professional tool with the name pro, promotional video “pro workflow” and the available Apps. Adobe, Affinity and etc… pushes the iPad “Pro” in the professional market.

I am more baffled to see ProRes on the iPad and the possibilities today, which haven been requested and mentioned in the past. Adding an external storage and monitor definitely ooens the possibilities.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 09:13 #122544

Talking about a little technical way... the iPad Pro cpu now is the M1/M2. So... if I understood well their presentation videos, these new CPU/GPU have an hardware part dedicated to decode/encode video on ProRES,H264,h265. This means that an iPad Pro, maybe has less core of a MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max, but it could encode/decode video in a faster way.

So it's logical that as you said, if they (apple) are pushing for the professional use of an iPad for video editing, and they are sponsoring Resolve too as a tool for editing video for the iPad... why they don't work on a better version of iMovie or a tablet versions of FCPX?

The only idea that I have... is that they don't think it is useful to make money for them.
They have iMovie for the iPad and it's enough for editing video on apple stile over a tablet.
They have to sell the iPad as a pro tool, so... if Resolve wants to create a portable version of their software, they leave them to do it and more of this, they use their choice to sponsorice their tablet as a pro tool.

So, for me are logical 2 point: Resolve is an external software for Apple, that works good on their tablet. They will sell a lot of tablet for this reason.
Do you want to edit videos for free with the iPad Pro? Apple gives to you iMovie, and it's ok too!
Do you want to edit videos as a professionale? Use Final Cut Pro over a MacBook Air o MacBook Pro.

Infact, to be honest. How I can edit a video with 20gb of video files, music, graphics and so on over a tablet? Withe the Apple Pencil??
It's just for fun not really professional.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 14:25 #122553

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Teppy, editing on an iPad will be a necessity for some Doc and ENG work. One area FCP excels is fast turnaround work. If your best professional editing toolset on iPad will be Resolve's enhanced Cut Page, then you're more likely to find hooks into Resolve desktop for finishing or, if the fastest turnaround is needed, having the toolset on iPad is a professional imperative. Considering that BMD is also pushing into cloud tools they will make the hooks even easier. Consider one may shoot with a BMD pushing into the cloud with iPad Resolve doing the edit. Your storage connection is the internet, not USB or internal iPad space which would only have to deal with local proxies.

Not only is it ProRes but BRAW and while Apple doesn't have an easy way to get ProRes on or off their mobile devices, BMD , not Apple, is moving towards a solution in that direction as well.

Apple has confirmed DaVinci Resolve is coming to the iPad! 21 Oct 2022 14:56 #122555

I'm not sure where all of this leads, but one thing is certain. The NAB Blackmagic Design booth in April is going to be an interesting place to be.

• Page: