fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Roland AeroCaster- Looks Interesting 21 Jan 2022 13:35 #118572

• peteramwiggins
  • peteramwiggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 402
All,

This came up on our feed today. An alternative to the ATEM mini? Really like that you can connect 4 iPhones to the box and remotely control them.

No idea not he price of the box though :(

proav.roland.com/global/products/aerocaster/

Administrator
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Roland AeroCaster- Looks Interesting 21 Jan 2022 14:46 #118581

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
I like Roland products in general. Questions would be: price, how solid is the physical build. Looking at the specs page answers lots of questions I had. Seems they learned from the ATEM very well, lots of audio features the ATEM should have had, but no keyers, etc. Very interesting products, but for a small facility, or a one-man-band, who doesn't need the pro-broadcast features of an ATEM, this could potentially be a nice product.

Last edit: by JoeEditor.

Roland AeroCaster- Looks Interesting 21 Jan 2022 15:56 #118587

Probably available in march ... as for the price a clue on this Canadian page : 399 can $
www.amazon.ca/Roland-AeroCaster-Powerful...r%2Caps%2C53&sr=8-25

interesting product indeed

Roland AeroCaster- Looks Interesting 21 Jan 2022 19:23 #118591

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I like to think this place is where you come not only for answers but also tips and suggestions, and to that end I beg of you to consider this one:

"People should move, not the camera."

Out of 44 jump cuts only FIVE were relatively static, meaning that but for those 5 the canvas was rotating, spinning, sliding, dollying, and generally being visually annoying for 90 seconds. All that busyness didn't add a thing to making the video a more cogent story. Nothing was meaningfully gained with all that superfluous gyration.

I find this approach to editing from my students at the end of the semester. They'd populate their final exam videos with all sorts of wipes and fades and effects, well, simply because they had all these options freely available in the editing bay so why not? Plus the other neophyte filmmakers would marvel at their mastery, overlooking the obvious that it degraded their effort by bringing attention to their short comings as photographers / editors by conspicuously trying to obfuscate it.

The point I stress to them is to THINK deeply about why they are doing something. Why the stupid face expression for a video thumbnail? Why the embed behind your VO resembling shoes tumbling in a clothes dryer? Why do your titles / transitions 'swoosh' or 'rumble' across the screen when they're not even moving 5 miles per hour, hardly enough to muss your hair let alone make the sound of a 747 taking off the next lane over.

Sure it's tough being original but pride will come from knowing that you'll be leading others rather than lemming-ing them.
(Here endeth the lesson.)

- - - - -
This comes to mind something I came across when shooting a mess of commercials for a tremendously successful furniture store. Between takes owner looked around noticing a particular sofa setup that'd remain unsold longer than he preferred. Told an employee, "If it isn't paying the rent, get rid of it."

Same idea should hold with video. If it doesn't contribute to advance the vision of the project, other than getting you accolades, praise, and slaps on the back from your peers in the trade, don't waste effort messing with it / putting it in.

Last edit: by VTC.

Roland AeroCaster- Looks Interesting 22 Jan 2022 11:59 #118599

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
Yes, especially when using an Aero-Caster... what?

• Page: