fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

X-rite colorchecker video or x-rite colorchecker passport video ? 30 Dec 2020 17:05 #111805

• Yveske
  • Yveske's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

which type is the best to buy? the colorchecker or the passport version?
I have already the color finale plug in

KR, YVes, Happy New Year, :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

X-rite colorchecker video or x-rite colorchecker passport video ? 30 Dec 2020 17:44 #111806

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520
At one time, Color Finale only supported the Passport version. I don't know if the new versions improved that.

I personally did not have consistent results with Color Finale's auto-correction based on the Passport card. It seemed very finicky. Of course it's expected that any kind of color backsplash from apparel, reflection on black tile, etc on the card may throw off color calibration. So the card must be used properly, but I did that. My tests were on the previous version, I haven't tried it again on ver. 2.

If you are shooting a log or flat profile, it might be better to use the proper camera LUT to achieve initial correction. If Color Finale's auto-grading using Passport produces poor results, then you must do it manually. Manually grading a severe log profile like VLog, DLog or SLog3 is difficult unless using a card.

But -- if you shot the card but Color Finale's auto-cal didn't work, the same issue could affect your attempt to manually grade using the card. By contrast the LUT won't be thrown off by some issue with the card.

Re how to manually correct colors using the passport card with FCP, the procedure is shown in this tutorial "Get perfect color & skin tones with this chart":

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: