fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 18 Mar 2021 08:33 #113460

Iain Anderson takes another look at iMovie - Is it a gateway app, Final Cut Pro lite, or more?

Read more...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 18 Mar 2021 09:48 #113461

A great read Iain! Also for those iMovie users out there, don't forget that there is a free 90 day trial for Final Cut Pro.
Administrator

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 18 Mar 2021 13:16 #113464

I've used that map graphic more than once. I had no idea it could be brought into FCPX! I'll have to try that now.
I wish they would develop that graphic to be more customizable and make it a standard of FCPX.
On that note, there's many standard motion graphics in FCPX that need revamped.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 19 Mar 2021 05:07 #113489

Nice read, Iain, bringing up ol' memories of my first steps in video-editing.
Two comments:
• the Travel-map Generator of iMovie shows/showed, the add-on material of FCP needs an urgent overhaul.... some Generators in Motion5 look soooo 80ies....
• Apple missed a business opportunity offering 'template packages', teaching iM new tricks, such as Weddings, Party, Xmas, Sports etc.

That iM IS able to 'swallow' Motion-made stuff, I demoed here
discussions.apple.com/thread/5490042?ans...48996022#23548996022

based on a hack of Alex4d .... gosh, this is soooo long ago. :)

speaking of long ago: my iMovie-tricks-website
sites.google.com/site/karstenschluter/
still exists - LOL!!!!

Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 19 Mar 2021 11:58 #113497

I guess at this point Apple think that third parties have filled in the gaps in the titles and generators catalogue. The 10.4.9 release did include a few new Social titles, at least to show off that titles can cater for multiple aspect ratios, but you're right, it hasn't been a focus for a while now.

And yes, unsurprising that iMovie can take FCP titles if you hack around a bit. Nice work! :)

For any other readers — do you think there's a space in the market for an iMovie book? I'm sure some people would find it useful, but it'd be a much smaller book than my FCP book, and most people who pay $0 for software won't want to pay anything for a book about that software either.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 19 Mar 2021 12:42 #113500

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
I have friends, family, clients who I'd love to refer to iMovie. But there's no really good book for absolute beginners that doesn't get overly technical and drawn-out or is way too babyfied.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 19 Mar 2021 13:23 #113504

… do you think there's a space in the market for an iMovie book? …

hmm… tough question. Apple software in general has the image of being 'self-explanatory', checking amazon: very little collection of books for Pages, Pixelmator et al. So, a some-hundred-pages book for the niche 'video editing'? For the niche 'book readers'? ;)

An iMovie book from you would be great, no doubt, 'iMovie for Dummies', 'iMovie Secrets Unfold', 'The iMovie Cook Book/99 easy recipes for beginners and pros', wotever :)

… but probably no hit in the shortlist…

my grumpy 5¢

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 03 Apr 2021 02:44 #113791

A very interesting comparison of the two apps.
You may give too much leeway to FCP, many times saying iMovie has a FCP feature, when, by your own writing, iMovie precedes FCPx by several years and much of the code base is the same.

Both iMovie and FCPx are written by former Adobe Premiere scribe Randy Ubillos. He also wrote the original Final Cut Pro, called Key Grip, which Apple bought from Macromedia if I recall correctly. And, of course, paired it down into Final Cut Express (FCE).

It makes a lot more sense for a consummate video app programmer to write iMovie, and then keep improving on it for years- before releasing, essentially iMovie Pro (which everyone calls FCPx).

It's clear in the design that there are arbitrary limitations in iMovie, that are not present in iMovie Pro, more tracks, greater depth of controls, plug-ins, etc. But the shared code between them, and the ability to move iMovie elements into an iMovie Pro project, clearly indicates that they are essentially the same application.
Exactly the same way Final Cut Express was deliberately scaled back in capability versus the original Final Cut Pro, but they worked identically.

I think you are also a bit generous to Apple in saying that the release of iMovie 8, "The new iMovie ... simply wasn’t suitable for all users.... so Apple kept the old iMovie available for download." They completely pulled it, and then re-released it, after a huge user backlash because the first version of the new iMovie lacked so many essential features.

The same needs to be remembered when apple released FCPx- at NAB back in the day. The next day, all mention of the "old" Final Cut Studio was removed from Apple's web site. All the updates were gone. It was like it never existed- much to the detriment of resellers who still had stock, and users who were looking for updates and fixes, me included!

Again, it took quite a backlash to get the old content back on Apple's web site.

I write this as a user of Randy's Premiere 3- having cut an entire outdoor adventure series on it. A user of FCP since version 1 all the way to 7. When Apple released iMovie Pro and made as if Final Cut Studio, and all the various tools within it, did not exist, they also made it clear to a whole mass of users that relying on Apple for their liveliehood is risky.

Thankfully, Apple has stood by and continually updated iMovie Pro through the years and made it into a commendable tool, with a massive amount of expansion and extension available with 3rd party tools. I know some may bristle at my calling it iMovie Pro, but it is what it is. An extension of iMovie without features blocked. There's still a lot of room to improve- but with Randy announcing his retirement, it'll be in the hands of someone else...

Unless, without Randy, Apple pivots and iMovie Pro goes the way of Final Cut Studio.
Poof. One day, it's just gone, as if it never existed.

Rethinking iMovie by Iain Anderson 03 Apr 2021 08:20 #113793

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
Yes, that's all been said to death 10 years ago, we're over it, go use PPro, this is very, very OLD rehash of ancient history, and if you're stuck on "iMovie Pro" well, I feel sorry for you. Now, let's turn our attention to "today" and the OP. Yes, an iMovie book would be greatly appreciate by myself and lots of folks I know who use it, or want to use it.

• Page: