fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 15 Feb 2021 12:55 #112705

• peteramwiggins
  • peteramwiggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 400

With the landing of NASA's Perseverance only days away, one FCP.co contributor used a 3D model in Motion to illustrate the Mars mission.

Read more...
Administrator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 15 Feb 2021 16:06 #112706

That's a really excellent piece of work, utilizing Motion's real strengths and working around it's limitations.

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 15 Feb 2021 17:08 #112707

Great work! Agreed that there are limitations but it's quite amazing what you can accomplish with USDZ's in Motion, especially if you break them apart first.

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 15 Feb 2021 17:22 #112708

Thanks Mark:)

Your Ripple Training Series: Using 3D Objects in Motion really helped me out:). In fact thats what encouraged me to see if I could pul this off.

I faked some depth of field using blurs but it was clunky. So shied away from it.

Something I came across in Blender that I want to pass on is this: There is a faster way to export model parts.

If you have a model that has selectable parts you can export them individually without having to erase all the other parts.

In Blender go to Export>gIFT 2 then open the Include disclosure triangle and check selected parts. That way only the parts you have selected export.

It did behave weirdly when there was an animation involved so one may bump into that issue.

Thanks again, Blender is a beast and your tutorials got me where I needed to be quickly.
Owner InnerParakeet
www.innerparakeet.com
Attachments:

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 16 Feb 2021 05:51 #112711

That is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing!
Do you texture models in blender before export or did you use something like substance painter for that?

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 16 Feb 2021 13:50 #112716

Thanks! I didn't do anything to the model textures. I used the NASA Perseverance and Mars model, the earth model that is in Motion, and bought the cruise stage/ aeroshell. All I did was split them apart in Blender and pass them through Reality Converter.

Honestly I don't know much about 3D, but after this it's something I'd like to learn more about!

That's what is so cool about Motion was I was able to iterate on the fly and watch the result in realtime.
Owner InnerParakeet
www.innerparakeet.com

Last edit: by bcassin.

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 16 Feb 2021 14:15 #112717

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
bcassin, look into mO2 from MotionVFX if you want to go deeper.

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 16 Feb 2021 14:59 #112719

Ben,
I was going to approach the project using MO2 originally, but it didn't appear there was an easy way to make what I wanted.

For example the "exploded rover" shot, when I tried to do that in MO2 I could only see key frames for one object at a time. So there was no way to group adjust the timing. Nor did it seem like I could apply behaviors to each object within MO2. I know they have their built in animations but felt it was too much like adjusting parameters while looking through a keyhole to be helpful.

I did however use MO2 for the starfield.

It's too bad because I woudl have like to have taken advantage of mO2's lighting, shading, and DOF.

Again I just winged it so maybe I missed some functionality. I just really appreciate the use of behaviors to animate.
Owner InnerParakeet
www.innerparakeet.com

NASA's Perseverance Built and Animated in Apple's Motion 16 Feb 2021 23:30 #112726

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
Yeah, mO2 has some maturing to do, and they are working on new features. Some models come in with separate parts you can manipulate, some as one solid object, I don't know what the difference is. Anyway, really impressive work! Bravo!

• Page: