fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 10 Feb 2021 11:30 #112613

Hi, I am Alex, I am an editor and a software developer and recently I released this macOS app, FCP Diet 2.

Read more...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 10 Feb 2021 16:22 #112614

Looks like a great update! Thank you for going in to so much detail.
Administrator

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 10 Feb 2021 16:55 #112615

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
This is a really nice update, thank! I'm a big user of FCP Library Manager, and used FCP Diet occasionally, also. Because sometimes I don't want to be overwhelmed by all my Libraries at once, the the one or two I'm currently working on. All the added functionality makes this even more valuable. I'll still use both apps, but I think I'll be using FCP Diet (2) more often now.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 10 Feb 2021 17:36 #112622

Hi Ben,I'm Alex Raccuglia, the author of the software.First of all I thank you both for the feedback and for the fact that you use my software, of this I am very, very happy.If I have to be honest, Library Manager has always been a software that I have loved since the beginning, the guys at Arctic Whiteness have done a real masterpiece, even and especially for the interface.Precisely for this reason I have never wanted to create an application that was in direct competition with them: they have done a nearly perfect work, it makes no sense to enter their own field.FCP Diet 2 is first of all an application designed for my workflow, and in my workflow, as I wrote in the article, the Final Cut library is one of the many bricks that make up an entire production, so in FCP Diet 2 I recommend to drag the entire project folder and not only the library, in this way the application will manage all this set of information in a more organic way.That said, I invite you to try the application for seven days so you can get your own idea, and if you want to give me feedback, I'm always happy when I receive suggestions or requests because then I can continuously improve my products.Thank you!

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 11 Feb 2021 13:50 #112645

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Alex, like I said, I use both side by side, depending on what I need at the moment. I think both products should be on every FCP editing system. Already purchased and love the version 2!

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 11 Feb 2021 13:52 #112646

Thanks, man. ❤️

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 13 Feb 2021 19:00 #112686

• Vasili13
  • Film-maker, Dreamer, Enpreprenuer
  • Thank you received: 0
A lacking feature I desperately would like to see is a project trimmer, where you can trim original source footage and add a definable number of frames pre/post each edit in each project, this would by far further decrease library sizes.

Final Cut Library Manager doesn’ t do this, and Worx4 X has too many limitations for it to be useful. Old FCP Classic and Resolve does this, but I still prefer FCP. I would pay a lot for this. Anyone else?

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 14 Feb 2021 10:58 #112688

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520

A lacking feature I desperately would like to see is a project trimmer, where you can trim original source footage and add a definable number of frames pre/post each edit in each project, this would by far further decrease library sizes...

This is very much needed. The problem is it is risky and difficult to implement and test with extreme reliability.

There are hundreds of different compressed Long GOP formats. Most of the video frames are not even present; They are pseudo-frames, and must be mathematically reconstituted for trimming. When you see video with pixelated green frames at the start of a clip, this usually means a Long GOP format was trimmed or encoded incorrectly.

Historically, "no encode" trimming tools have been somewhat unreliable. Quicktime Player 10 can trim some Long GOP (e.g. H.264) formats, so why can't FCP? Because QT10 does one file at a time, and at the user's specific direction. The user typically checks the single result immediately.

By contrast a hypothetical FCP "consolidate with trim" feature might do 10,000 files in a batch, which contain dozens of different Long GOP formats of varying and unknown pedigree.

Resolve does this, but will refuse to handle certain Long GOP formats. What if you did 10,000 files, it trimmed 9,900 OK, quietly rejected 80, then corrupted 20, then you deleted the source thinking all your data was safely trimmed? And what if those mis-managed files were critical to your project? Almost no user can afford to visually check 10,000 files.

It is not a difficult feature to implement but it would be a huge burden to test and maintain. I really think that's why Apple has thus far not done it. But there is no question it is a needed feature and would be very valuable.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 15 Feb 2021 08:28 #112699

• Vasili13
  • Film-maker, Dreamer, Enpreprenuer
  • Thank you received: 0
“ This is very much needed. The problem is it is risky ...”

If enough people ask for it, Apple or a developer will create it.

I don’t agree that this is technically any more difficult to do, than what FCP already does with its advanced library structure/format. Think about all the complex stuff a FCPXML file can already describe, in/out points, FX, speed changes, filters, describing in/out points, ReEncoding and updating newly reEncoded clips to reflect new in/out points is no more difficult than what a FCP library/FCPXML can already do, even with long GOP flavors.

This feature can ask the user what do do with certain difficult or yet to be supported formats, I really don’t see this to be a technical/programmatic problem that is any more difficult that what FCP is already doing.

I am willing to support a developer financially who is capable of creating this.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 15 Feb 2021 23:44 #112710

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
XML files only refer to what exists and doesn't physically change anything.
What you're asking for physically truncates and changes files.
Huge difference, apples to onions comparison.

But as to simply truncating video files, yes, I agree, there's no technical reason for FCP to not do this already, as FCP 7 did it just fine with Long-GOP clips. I don't buy the Long-GOP is an issue argument at all. It's done daily by all sorts of software with accuracy.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 16 Feb 2021 13:10 #112715

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520

...I don’t agree that this is technically any more difficult to do, than what FCP already does with its advanced library structure/format. Think about all the complex stuff a FCPXML file can already describe, in/out points, FX, speed changes, filters, describing in/out points, ReEncoding and updating newly reEncoded clips to reflect new in/out points is no more difficult than what a FCP library/FCPXML can already do, even with long GOP flavors...

First, I fully agree the feature is badly needed -- even more today with physically remote workflows enforced by the pandemic. IMO it should be one of the highest-priority enhancements for FCP. In fact I'm now having to test Resolve as a workaround for this deficiency.

FCP7 had this feature in Media Manager, but it was dropped in FCPX. There were many reports of it not working properly on FCP7 in various situations. When speculating why FCPX did not include consolidate with trim, industry expert Jeff Greenberg said "I suspect this has to do with long gop codecs; I think this makes (for apple) media management easier/safer/more bulletproof in an age of sourcing from long gop codecs."

Likewise Resolve's 16.2.3 Media Manager recently dropped the "move" option, which was equivalent to FCP7's "Use Existing" option. Resolve still supports a "copy with trim" feature, but the result clips must be re-linked, which some people report can be problematic.

It's true that FCP must handle those same clips when exporting the timeline. And in fact trimmed timeline clips are available right now if using the free Frame.io utility, as described by Ripple Training. But it cannot "trim with extra handles":

Since 10.4.4, FCP can also batch export clips or selected ranges directly from the Event Browser, again without extra handles, and it doesn't support multicam clips:

But both of those options are strictly export, not media management. The clips should export OK, but if not there is no UI-driven expectation of a library or project using the newly-encoded clips. Your original media is still there.

FCP could hypothetically do what Resolve now does, which is consolidate with trim plus user-defined handles (IOW a copy not a move), while leaving the original media behind. You might do that to send a trimmed project to a remote collaborator. If the project had ten 5-second sound bites from ten different 30-minute multicam interviews, it would be a huge space savings. In that case if the recipient reported a problem, you'd still have the original clips.

Another reason you'd do that is to jettison the data load of the original large clips, and keep only the trimmed library or project. Presumably the original untrimmed media would be deleted. In that case if some problem was later found among (potentially) thousands of transcoded clips, your data would be compromised.

I tend to agree with Jeff Greenberg on a possible reason for Apple's reticence on this. In the FCP7 (and before) era, a lot of media was tape-captured to an All-Intraframe codec like DVCPro. The tape capture process produced a few large files using a limited number of capture codecs, typically All-I. The long length made trimming more important but it was inherently safer to trim an All-I codec than a complex Long GOP codec, esp. if the trimming process either itself discards the original media or incentivizes the user to do that. We just went through a phase whereby editing certain HEVC codecs would crash or destabilize FCP, apparently fixed in 10.4.10. There is no telling what that would have done to a library if consolidate with trim existed.

Regardless of those concerns, it is still a vital feature and I hope Apple can expedite delivery of this.

Control the Size of Final Cut Pro's Libraries with FCP Diet 2 16 Feb 2021 14:21 #112718

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Trim with 5 or 10 second handles, problem solved for long-gop codecs, simple. And in the last years of FCP7 we were getting a lot of long-gop codecs from new cameras at the time. The function never gave me issues, most of my colleagues and students had very few issues with it. I still say it could be done safely. But FCP is still after all these years missing some vital features and yes, it's cheer leaders come up with clever ways to dismiss them. Sorry, this is my honest opinion. I love FCP, but I don't see any mechanical/technical reason for it to still be so lacking.

• Page: