fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCPX doesn't recognise the external Proxys as proxies and I can't relink them 06 Dec 2022 18:34 #123205

Dear all,

I have the following problem. I was supplied with previously made proxies because we were short on time and were still uploading the original files. Then I edited in FCPX with the proxies. After that I wanted to link them to the original files that finally arrived. Unfortunately FCPX does not recognize the proxies as such and treats them as originals since they were made externally. So I first tried treating them as originals and linking them to the actual originals as proxies - swapping originals and proxies, so to speak - and hoped that maybe I could then just export the correct movie via the proxy output. Unfortunately, that didn't work out because I can only output it in a small file size and I need the movie to be very high resolution. Then I made new proxies from the external proxies, which FCPX then recognized as proxies, and then linked them to the originals. That didn't work either. I got a movie with the unrecognized proxies. What can I do to make FCPX recognize the external proxies as such and how can I play them out with the original external files? I appreciate any help!!!

Thank you and all the best

Kristina

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX doesn't recognise the external Proxys as proxies and I can't relink them 07 Dec 2022 02:23 #123211

• DaveM
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Kristina,

A few weeks ago I encountered a similar situation. I'm using FCP 10.6.5.

I received a set of files from the DIT to use to start editing a project in FCP.

I imported those (MP4) files, using "leave in place", and had FCP create optmized media versions.

After editing for about a week, I received a replacement set of files, with the same filenames. The files were also MP4 but had some changes in the burned in metadata and in the number of audio tracks (some extraneous audio tracks were removed).

I used "File -> Relink Files -> Original Media..." to use the new set of files. I then deleted all generated media in my Library and had FCP create optimized media for the new files.

This seems to be where you'd like to get to (using your new files and possibly optimized media versions thereof).

As an additional test step (just now), I used "File -> Relink Files -> Proxy Media..." to link to the old set of files as proxies for FCP to use. That worked.

Now, depending on the setting for "Media Playback" in the VIew menu of the viewer, FCP edits with the optimized or the proxy (old original files in my case) files.

Is this similar to what you tried?

Beware that the new set of files should be similarly named, have no duration changes, and have similar audio configuration or things may not relink properly...

Hope this helps. Cheers...

Last edit: by DaveM.

FCPX doesn't recognise the external Proxys as proxies and I can't relink them 08 Dec 2022 15:51 #123220

You might try dragging and dropping the "original" or high res files directly into one of your events but make sure your preferences are set to leave files in place and see if will relink automatically? I worked for two weeks off of proxies and was able to relink only by dragging the original files into the library. Best wishes!

FCPX doesn't recognise the external Proxys as proxies and I can't relink them 09 Dec 2022 10:32 #123226

Dear DaveM, dear Rustychainpro,

Really, really thank you for your replies. It is so great, that such a platform exists. I never used it before. We solved the problem.

It wasn't the linking. The linked files functioned just perfectly.

It was because I thought FCPX was exporting the proxies because a camera lut was still on and it was also on for the originals. The proxies had a more saturated image because of it and I thought I must be getting some less saturated image with the originals, but the camera lut was just applied as a setting. That's why I thought it wouldn't work. Many thanks again to all.

This is really wonderful that there is such a forum.

All the best

Kristina

• Page: