fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 31 Aug 2022 20:56 #122073

• Bartbo
  • Bartbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I'm struggling to get nice results with the built in motion tracker of FCPX. It seems whatever part of a clip I select for tracking, it doesn't transform the text nicely with the picture. To illustrate I attached a short clip in which I'm trying to let the text more of less stick to the map of Iceland with scale, rotation and position. I used cloud-based tracking. I watch several tutorials and have tried countlessly different options but to avail. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Bart
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 01 Sep 2022 20:53 #122081

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 63
While not necessarily the place for this observation & related tips but it's the appropriate time for it.
- - - - -
Unless the viewer is incredibly dense how long should a single word title remain on the screen? On my stuff no longer than 2 seconds. Even multi word / multi line content will never exceed five seconds. The flag's down and the meter's running when it comes to pacing and holding viewer interest. What if the data is three paragraphs? Then it's maybe ten seconds.

The beauty of consuming video today is you can usually pause it and read to your hearts content without forcing all viewers to tap their foot waiting for the slowest reader to catch up before video resumes. Same thing goes for highlighting something. Showing a fumble recovery and eventual touchdown? If need be circle the player briefly and then release the graphic. No need having it shadowing him all the way to the end zone. Though I'm not particularly bright and plagued with a short attention span there hasn't been a video yet I needed to be led by the nose and pointed to the precise area of interest, so really there's no need to treat your audience as imbeciles.

While I don't have an answer for this tracking dilemma I think most everyone will agree that once the idea is established having it displayed 5x longer than really necessary doesn't make it 5x more meaningful or significant. A ten second template can also be used as a three second template.

Ever see a turn of the century edit? Editors so loved their tape to tape contraptions they'd throw all sorts of stock tricks into the mix and admire their cleverness. This title insert is at the beginning a 2001 wedding video merrily spinning for 15 seconds. Annoying then, still annoying now. (And unless I was given the wedding shoot free I'd have insisted they remove their ad from the start of the wedding video.)

(Like to hear any contrary viewpoint to this opinion.)
Attachments:

Last edit: by VTC.

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 02 Sep 2022 11:43 #122086

• Bartbo
I completely agree! It's just that I'm only a "homevideo dad" and wanted to make the movies of our travels a bit educational for my son. So I purposely choose a longer but of course for an adult audience more boring duration of these geographical clips. Thanks for your reply!

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 02 Sep 2022 17:18 #122089

I was able to track text to your map, including scale, using FCP's built-in tracker. Works really well for this kind of thing.

1. I added a tracker to the clip (bottom of the inspector). Playhead at 00:00

2. I resized the tracker to include the main snow peak, and the one just to the left of it

3. Click the Analyze button in the viewer

4. Add text - I just did the basic one. Size and style as you like.

5. With the text layer selected, click the Transform icon in the lower left corner of the viewer

6. Top center of the viewer, you'll now see a Tracker dropdown. Pop that open and select your object tracker, then select 'Scale' in addition to the position and rotation. Your text will likely shrink and move - we'll fix that next.

7. Text will now have a large bounding box. Scale that up to your desired size, and position it's center anchor in the center of your tracking mat. You can go to the Text inspector and change the relative position of the text in here.

Sample movie is now attached.
Attachments:

Last edit: by dmetz. Reason: Formatting, attaching vid clip

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 06 Sep 2022 14:24 #122123

• Bartbo
Thank you, Dmetz! Your result looks much better! I'm going to try again with your instructions. Thank you!

I can't get motion tracked text to nicely scale with the movement 07 Sep 2022 14:22 #122125

Glad to help. Good luck!

• Page: