fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can't open a very important Library 24 May 2022 12:23 #120724

• BJansch
  • BJansch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Since updating FCPX I am unable to open a very important library containing a feature documentary.

I've tried restarting, deleting preferences and updating the Mac OS but it still just hangs on the 'Updating library' message.

Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BJansch.

Can't open a very important Library 24 May 2022 16:09 #120727

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Have you opened any other libraries since updating? I had a similar issue when I updated last week. I ended up opening up one of the Library back ups, and then I was able to get the original Library to open. Almost seemed like it needed to be kick started.

Can't open a very important Library 24 May 2022 18:06 #120728

• BJansch
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Cheers Doug but I tried that. All other LIbraries are opening fine, just this particular one and all of its backups don't want to open/update.

Can't open a very important Library 24 May 2022 18:48 #120730

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Is this a Library that you used with a previous version of FCP? If so, you could try opening it in that earlier version of FCP (after duplicating the Library).

Does the Library contain media, cache and temporary files, etc., or did you store those separately? If stored separately, you should make sure that the media is online and available.

How long did you wait before stopping FCP from the loading process? Sometimes, complex Libraries may take hours to load.

You might try duplicating the Library and then use something like Digital Rebellion's Project Repair (in their Pro Maintenance Tools) to try to resurrect/clean the Library before tyring to open it in FCP.

Or, you could also try using "Final Cut Library Manager" to see if it finds any potential/actual issues within the Library. You can use it to clear out temporary files, etc., which may help with loading the Library in FCP.

MIssing fonts and Motion template issues can cause problems when opening a Library in FCP. "X-Library Check" may be helpful to help troubleshoot things:

www.spherico.com/filmtools/index.html

More "dangerous" things you could try involve "Show package contents..." in the Finder, where you would dig through folders and files in the Library (package) itself... I'll leave that for later.

Best thing to do is make a duplicate of the Library before trying anything.

P.S. - In the future, I'd recommend exporting an XML of the entire Library at least once daily. As you create and finalize Projects/Sequences, you could also export XML files for those.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Can't open a very important Library 24 May 2022 19:01 #120731

• BJansch
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Dave, it's a big Library and has always taken a while to open up, but today it's just been hanging on the 'updating...' message. I've not given it more than an hour to update, so on your advice I'm going to give it more time and leave it for a couple of hours.

I did clean up the render and proxy files with Library Manager, so it's just referencing the original media stored externally.

I'll post an update when I return!

Can't open a very important Library 25 May 2022 13:22 #120743

• BJansch
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks again Dave! It turns out that all I needed was to be more patient and wait for a couple of hours for the library to update and reload :-) Cheers for the help.

Can't open a very important Library 25 May 2022 13:38 #120744

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
You're welcome. Glad it worked. I have to remind myself to wait for Libraries to load sometimes, especially when they are being updated... Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.
  • Page: