fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Relink Failure : 'The original file didn't have audio, the new one does' 01 Sep 2021 12:28 #116071

I may have posted about this in the past, and have spent ages on with Apple Support to try to work this out. But basically, I'm linking to the *correct* original media file, but I get the error below. Obviously, the original file *did* have audio, as that is the same file I'm trying to relink to now.

At the end of my tether with this, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Declan

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Standpoint Media.

Relink Failure : 'The original file didn't have audio, the new one does' 14 Jan 2022 11:10 #118442

We have this same exact problem after opening a old Project after it was moved from the local drive to the server!
I think its But mixture between macOS and FCPX.

Relink Failure : 'The original file didn't have audio, the new one does' 14 Jan 2022 17:13 #118455

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 513
It thinks there is a metadata conflict regarding audio channels between the original file and the new relink target. If you still have both files (even if you think they are two copies of the same file) you can compare the metadata side by side using the tool Invisor. apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

If Invisor shows the file metadata is identical, then it's because the current metadata stored in SQL tables within the library differs from the metadata of the current relink target.

Another possibility is there was always just one file, in that case there aren't two files to compare. However a metadata mis-match can still exist from the time it was imported to now. The question is what is that difference and why.

The file metadata inside the library is not accessible but you can export the clip XML for that file, then import the new relink target to a new library and export its clip XML, then use a diff utility such as Beyond Compare on the two XML files. It will highlight in pink any differences. This often gives clues about the problem source: www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

Some situations where I've seen this happen:

- If one file is imported using "copy to library" and is later copied or consolidated outside the library, then relink is attempted with the pre-import original file.

- If using 3rd-party proxies or transcodes from the original file, then you try relink to the original

- If using an external Atomos recorder which may store a different audio config from the in-camera files

Relink Failure : 'The original file didn't have audio, the new one does' 14 Jan 2022 17:55 #118456

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I frequently get this warning but in reverse... "The original file has audio but the re-linking one doesn't" even though it's the exact same file in the exact same location with audio I can clearly hear. I drag in the file allowing REPLACE and then I'm back in the editing game.

Relink Failure : 'The original file didn't have audio, the new one does' 14 Jan 2022 22:11 #118460

• JoeEditor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 701
FCP's relink function has been a disappointment since day one. Hoping it gets fixed eventually.

• Page: