fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

S.M.A.R.T. scare 07 Nov 2021 04:28 #117304

• Larrie
  • Larrie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Just finished another series of travel video and got them posted on YouTube. Then started my normal archive process. I keep my archive drives stored off line on a shelf, one for the all the raw media and FCP library and another for the for a copy of the final exported project video. Both are 7200 RPM hard drives.

Plugged the first drive in and got a notice that there were S.M.A.R.T. errors. Yikes! Plugged the second drive in and it too threw a S.M.A.R.T. errors. Talk about scary.

After calming down I researched what I was up against. Then started shuffling files around on my other drives to free create free space. Once that was done it was time to copy the files on the failing drives to working drives. A day and a half later all the files from the failing drives, except one that was unreadable, were safely backed up. New drives are on order.

The day before this happened I had my backup music drive fail with no warnings at all. It sits on a shelf with the other drives. Maybe it’s the shelf that is the problem.

For those of you that do not know S.M.A.R.T stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology developed by IBM to monitor drive health. There are utilities like TechTool Pro that can alert you to problems noticed by the S.M.A.R.T. routines.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Larrie.
  • Page: