Normally we are posting filters for skin smoothing and not making people look uglier! Just in time for Halloween, Digital Anarchy have kindly let loose Ugly Box, a filter for enhancing bad skin.
Want to make your videos scarier or your zombies more, er zombie? The free FCP7 & FCPX effect Ugly Box just might be the answer!
Of course this is a brilliant promotion from Jim Tierney at Digital Anarchy to promote Beauty Box Video which does a good job of smoothing skin.
"With the advent of HD, viewers expect to see every last wrinkle, scar, and oozing pore on zombies, witches, and news commentators. Ugly Box uses Digital Anarchy’s award winning Beauty Box skin retouching algorithms to accentuate all the skin detail on undead talent. This creates the effect of making talent look older, uglier, or just plain hideous. Ugly Box supports Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Apple Final Cut Pro 7 & 10.0.6."
“Urrgghhhharrrr, braaaainnsss”, said a zombie who uses Ugly Box.
The award-winning Beauty Box Video plugin has been used widely to reduce blemishes, wrinkles and makeup problems on film, video and photos. Since version 2.0, Beauty Box also has the ability to make skin look worse. Ugly Box breaks out that functionality into a separate tool. This free filter automatically tracks the skin tones in a video and masks out those areas, allowing users to enhance the undead skin texture or make deathly white color correction to the skin areas.
“We’ve got a bunch of zombies outside!“ said Jim Tierney, President of Digital Anarchy. “Oh wait, maybe they’re just Giants fans…”
Features of Ugly Box
Here is a rundown of the plain ol’ ugly features:
- Ease of Use: Just press the Make Ugly button!
- Skin Enhancement: Uses the Beauty Box algorithms to make skin look old and diseased.
- Automatic Masking: Analyzes video to determine skin tones and makes an automatic, traveling mask.
- Color Correction: Users can make Hue, Saturation, and Brightness adjustments to the skin areas.
- Support for Final Cut Pro X: Ugly Box supports Final Cut Pro X, along with earlier versions of FCP.
- Support for Adobe CS6: Ugly Box supports the latest version of the Adobe Creative Suite.
Ugly Box is free and can be downloaded here: http://digitalanarchy.com/demos/ugly.html
Ugly Box runs in After Effects 7.0–CS6, Final Cut Pro 10.0.6, Final Cut Pro 7, and Premiere Pro CS4–CS6.
Many thanks to Jim for this great effect on Halloween.